Brandi Glanville defends, explains her racist 'Real Housewives' remark
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 17
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 17
- Photo: Fame Flynet3 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America4 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America5 of 17
- Photo: Retna Digital6 of 17
- Photo: BLA/ZOJ/WENN7 of 17
- Photo: mjt/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.8 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/GettyImages.com9 of 17
- Photo: WENN10 of 17
- Photo: .11 of 17
- Photo: FPA/FAMEFLYNET/Wonderwall12 of 17
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/WENN13 of 17
- Photo: WENN14 of 17
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks15 of 17
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/StarTraks16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Lena Dunham Reacts to Naked Critics Makes, Deletes Molestation Joke on TwitterMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:14:00 PM
- Katie Couric to Interview Michael Bloomberg for YahooMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:57:00 PM
- Lindsay Lohan Is a 'Prisoner' on OWN Series: 'It's My Last Shot&MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:24:00 PM
- Emerson College Opens L.A. Campus on Sunset Blvd. With Hollywood Gala (Photos)MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:11:00 PM
- 'True Detective' Season Finale: Darkness, Yeah-uhMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 8:02:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Reacts to Naked Critics Makes, Deletes Molestation Joke on Twitter
Brandi Glanville stepped into it again. On the Dec. 9 episode of "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills," the outspoken reality star, 41, got drunk during a pool party with her bikini-clad castmates, and predictably said something she shouldn't have -- and this time, the insult wasn't just ugly, but racist. After newcomer Joyce Giraud admitted that she couldn't swim, Glanville quipped, "You're black."
Following a stunned silence, LeAnn Rimes' nemesis explained. "It was a joke and my black friends would've laughed crazy, 'cause they don't go in the pool because they will get their weave [expletive] up. ... All my black friends can't swim. Is that bad?"
Giraud retorted, "Yes, I'm black. What's your problem? Puerto Ricans are black, they're Indian and they're Spanish. So I am a mix of three cultures and I'm very proud to represent all three."
Immediately after that episode's broadcast, Glanville came under fire via Twitter from offended fans. Fellow firebrand Kenya Moore of "Real Housewives of Atlanta" even chimed in. "Not all black women wear hair weaves, half the women on 'Beverly Hills Housewives' are wearing some fake hair. Brandi could not be more ignorant."
Well aware of her error, Glanville then called in to speak with Andy Cohen on "Watch What Happens Live!" to explain herself.
"I know what I said was definitely inappropriate, but I say a lot of inappropriate things. I'm not racist, I'm just inappropriate 90 percent of the time! It definitely was not sensitive and I apologize to anyone I offended," the bestselling author said, though she wasn't done defending herself. "But to be honest with you, my friends and I joke with each other this way and they're from all different backgrounds. So I'm sorry and I guess TV's not ready for the real Brandi, but should I censor myself? Is that gonna be exciting?"
Cohen wasn't completely satisfied with that argument, and pressed Glanville further -- asking her if she thought the remark was racist.
"I think it was definitely inappropriate," she conceded. "I'm the least racist person of all time. I think the more you defend it, the more you look guilty, so I don't really have to say that much more. I am very sorry with whomever I defended. Defended. Offended!"
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite