Brandi Glanville defends, explains her racist 'Real Housewives' remark
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 17
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 17
- Photo: Fame Flynet3 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America4 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America5 of 17
- Photo: Retna Digital6 of 17
- Photo: BLA/ZOJ/WENN7 of 17
- Photo: mjt/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.8 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/GettyImages.com9 of 17
- Photo: WENN10 of 17
- Photo: .11 of 17
- Photo: FPA/FAMEFLYNET/Wonderwall12 of 17
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/WENN13 of 17
- Photo: WENN14 of 17
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks15 of 17
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/StarTraks16 of 17
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
Brandi Glanville stepped into it again. On the Dec. 9 episode of "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills," the outspoken reality star, 41, got drunk during a pool party with her bikini-clad castmates, and predictably said something she shouldn't have -- and this time, the insult wasn't just ugly, but racist. After newcomer Joyce Giraud admitted that she couldn't swim, Glanville quipped, "You're black."
Following a stunned silence, LeAnn Rimes' nemesis explained. "It was a joke and my black friends would've laughed crazy, 'cause they don't go in the pool because they will get their weave [expletive] up. ... All my black friends can't swim. Is that bad?"
Giraud retorted, "Yes, I'm black. What's your problem? Puerto Ricans are black, they're Indian and they're Spanish. So I am a mix of three cultures and I'm very proud to represent all three."
Immediately after that episode's broadcast, Glanville came under fire via Twitter from offended fans. Fellow firebrand Kenya Moore of "Real Housewives of Atlanta" even chimed in. "Not all black women wear hair weaves, half the women on 'Beverly Hills Housewives' are wearing some fake hair. Brandi could not be more ignorant."
Well aware of her error, Glanville then called in to speak with Andy Cohen on "Watch What Happens Live!" to explain herself.
"I know what I said was definitely inappropriate, but I say a lot of inappropriate things. I'm not racist, I'm just inappropriate 90 percent of the time! It definitely was not sensitive and I apologize to anyone I offended," the bestselling author said, though she wasn't done defending herself. "But to be honest with you, my friends and I joke with each other this way and they're from all different backgrounds. So I'm sorry and I guess TV's not ready for the real Brandi, but should I censor myself? Is that gonna be exciting?"
Cohen wasn't completely satisfied with that argument, and pressed Glanville further -- asking her if she thought the remark was racist.
"I think it was definitely inappropriate," she conceded. "I'm the least racist person of all time. I think the more you defend it, the more you look guilty, so I don't really have to say that much more. I am very sorry with whomever I defended. Defended. Offended!"
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite