Brooke Burke: How I told my kids I have thyroid cancer
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: KYLE ROVER/StarTraks2 of 15
- Photo: MICHELLE BRUCK/StarTraks3 of 15
- Photo: Michael Wright/WENN4 of 15
- Photo: MiamiPIXX/BRJ/Fame Flynet5 of 15
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks6 of 15
- Photo: Michelle Bruck/StarTraks7 of 15
- Photo: Felipe Ramales/Pacific Coast News8 of 15
- Photo: BSA/ZOJ/WENN9 of 15
- Photo: E. Charbonneau for PMK/HBH/WireImage10 of 15
- Photo: Michael Simon/Promotional11 of 15
- Photo: Jacson/Splash News12 of 15
- Photo: FPA/FameFlynet Pictures/Wonderwall13 of 15
- Photo: Michelle Bruck/StarTraks14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Channing Tatum Saves Mila Kunis in 'Jupiter Ascending' Trailer From 'MatrMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 4:40:28 PM
- Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' Actress, Dead at 91MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 4:30:05 PM
- Jake Gyllenhaal on 'Prisoners' and Why Good Cops Have Criminal MindsMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 4:20:41 PM
- Bette Midler Set to Star, Executive Produce HBO's Mae West BiopicMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 4:11:28 PM
- 'Murphy Brown' Cast to Reunite on 'Katie'MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 3:59:28 PM
- Channing Tatum Saves Mila Kunis in 'Jupiter Ascending' Trailer From 'Matr
As Brooke Burke-Charvet prepares to undergo thyroid cancer surgery this week, she's also had to help her family get ready.
Burke-Charvet and husband David Charvet are parents to daughter Rain, 5, and son Shaya, 4. The "Dancing With the Stars" co-host also has two children from her previous marriage to plastic surgeon Garth Fisher, daughter Neriah, 12, and Sierra, 10. Sharing her cancer diagnosis with her children was no easy task.
"I decided not to tell my children about my diagnosis for as long as I possibly could because I didn't want them to worry," Burke-Charvet, 41, wrote on her Modern Mom blog on Wednesday. "I know that my younger ones still don't have a great concept of time and I didn't want them to be anxious, worried and asking 1,000 questions."
Daughters Neriah and Sierra were the first to learn of their mother's diagnosis and reacted in very different ways. "She was really scared and concerned," Burke-Charvet wrote of daughter Neriah. "She cried, and her biggest fear was if I was going to be OK."
But Sierra was "very factual and scientific." Burke-Charvet recalled her saying, "'OK, Mommy so you're going to get the lump removed, so that's a good thing.'" And she "left it at that and never brought my surgery up again."
Her youngest children didn't take the news as well. "Children process things so differently," Burke-Charvet explained. She wrote that her son saying "I don't want Mommy to die" is "the stuff that breaks my heart and scares me."
Though telling her children was challenging, Burke-Charvet says she's now ready to have her surgery.
"So I've stocked the house up, I've done all my grocery shopping, I've made a few meals and the fridge is stocked with leftovers. I've organized all my children's schedules and downloaded a few books," she said. "I've packed my bag; I'm pretty much prepared and ready ... with a lot of faith, a hopeful mind and the intent to have a speedy recovery."
"I'm not afraid anymore," she added. "I think I've been dealing with it so much the past couple months that now I'm ready to just get it done and put this behind me. My only need is being ok for my husband and my children so they don't have to go through any pain and making this as easy as possible for them."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Selena Gomez, LeAnn Rimes and Kyle Richards show off their holiday spirit on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Bye, Bye 'RHOC'
Former "Housewife" Lydia McLaughlin dishes about leaving the "RHOC," her stance on plastic surgery and more!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHoliday Spirit
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite