Brooke Burke: How I told my kids I have thyroid cancer
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: KYLE ROVER/StarTraks2 of 15
- Photo: MICHELLE BRUCK/StarTraks3 of 15
- Photo: Michael Wright/WENN4 of 15
- Photo: MiamiPIXX/BRJ/Fame Flynet5 of 15
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks6 of 15
- Photo: Michelle Bruck/StarTraks7 of 15
- Photo: Felipe Ramales/Pacific Coast News8 of 15
- Photo: BSA/ZOJ/WENN9 of 15
- Photo: E. Charbonneau for PMK/HBH/WireImage10 of 15
- Photo: Michael Simon/Promotional11 of 15
- Photo: Jacson/Splash News12 of 15
- Photo: FPA/FameFlynet Pictures/Wonderwall13 of 15
- Photo: Michelle Bruck/StarTraks14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Mia Hansen-Love's EDM Movie 'Eden' Lands U.S. DistributionMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 10:56:00 AM
- Chelsea Handler's Dog Is a Lion King in Teaser for Netflix Comedy Special (Photo)MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:43:00 AM
- Aaron Paul Joins Jamie Dornan in Miramax's 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax'MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:32:00 AM
- Ratings: Gotham Cops Good Numbers — See How Scorpion and Forever DidMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:26:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 12:09 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:09:53 AM
- Mia Hansen-Love's EDM Movie 'Eden' Lands U.S. Distribution
As Brooke Burke-Charvet prepares to undergo thyroid cancer surgery this week, she's also had to help her family get ready.
Burke-Charvet and husband David Charvet are parents to daughter Rain, 5, and son Shaya, 4. The "Dancing With the Stars" co-host also has two children from her previous marriage to plastic surgeon Garth Fisher, daughter Neriah, 12, and Sierra, 10. Sharing her cancer diagnosis with her children was no easy task.
"I decided not to tell my children about my diagnosis for as long as I possibly could because I didn't want them to worry," Burke-Charvet, 41, wrote on her Modern Mom blog on Wednesday. "I know that my younger ones still don't have a great concept of time and I didn't want them to be anxious, worried and asking 1,000 questions."
Daughters Neriah and Sierra were the first to learn of their mother's diagnosis and reacted in very different ways. "She was really scared and concerned," Burke-Charvet wrote of daughter Neriah. "She cried, and her biggest fear was if I was going to be OK."
But Sierra was "very factual and scientific." Burke-Charvet recalled her saying, "'OK, Mommy so you're going to get the lump removed, so that's a good thing.'" And she "left it at that and never brought my surgery up again."
Her youngest children didn't take the news as well. "Children process things so differently," Burke-Charvet explained. She wrote that her son saying "I don't want Mommy to die" is "the stuff that breaks my heart and scares me."
Though telling her children was challenging, Burke-Charvet says she's now ready to have her surgery.
"So I've stocked the house up, I've done all my grocery shopping, I've made a few meals and the fridge is stocked with leftovers. I've organized all my children's schedules and downloaded a few books," she said. "I've packed my bag; I'm pretty much prepared and ready ... with a lot of faith, a hopeful mind and the intent to have a speedy recovery."
"I'm not afraid anymore," she added. "I think I've been dealing with it so much the past couple months that now I'm ready to just get it done and put this behind me. My only need is being ok for my husband and my children so they don't have to go through any pain and making this as easy as possible for them."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Sexy TV Stars
From Sofia Vergara to Justin Theroux, check out the rest of TV's hottest stars.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTInspiring Hubby!
From Crowd Ignite