Cancer survivor Suzanne Somers discusses breast surgery
Cancer survivor Suzanne Somers is sporting a new set of breasts after going under the knife for stem cell reconstruction.
RELATED: Celeb Breast Cancer Survivors
The actress was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer in 2000 and later underwent a lumpectomy to remove the malignant tumor.
The former "Three's Company" star tells People magazine, "My jaw dropped when they took the bandages off. Sixty-five percent of my breast was gone. I had a DD on one side, and on the other side I could barely fill a B cup. ... My breasts were a huge part of my career. ... I had these beautiful breasts, which I had never appreciated. Then I looked down and went, 'Oh!' That was hard."
Embarrassed by her new lopsided silhouette, Somers began wearing a prosthetic, but even that had its downfalls.
She continues, "When I went out, I wore a prosthetic in my bra that would push up what little I had. A couple of times it slipped out. I looked down and there was something around my waist that shouldn't be there! It was mortifying."
Finally the fitness expert signed up to be part of a new clinical trial, which would involve plastic surgeon Dr. Joel Aronowitz reconstructing her right breast with stem cells harvested from her stomach fat. The experimental procedure went off without a hitch.
A now-confident Somers adds, "It's soft and feels just like the other one. This is a game-changer. I'm proud to have started the ball rolling. ... I didn't know I missed having a breast that much. ... It's wonderful to look down and see no scars, no foreign objects -- just me."
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 17, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 16, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 15, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 14, 2013
- 7 Most Outrageous Gwyneth Paltrow Quotes
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 10, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 9, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 8, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 7, 2013
- 7 Best Bikini Bods
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 3, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 2, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 1, 2013
Selena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite