Charles Saatchi says he is divorcing Nigella Lawson
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex USA2 of 12
- Photo: Rex USA/Rex USA3 of 12
- Photo: Copetti/Rex USA4 of 12
- Photo: KB4/Dan Jackman/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: BD3/WENN6 of 12
- Photo: Lionel Cironneau/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN8 of 12
- Photo: Craig Norwood/Splash News9 of 12
- Photo: Ikon / Splash News/Splash News10 of 12
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
LONDON (AP) — Prominent art collector Charles Saatchi said Sunday he is divorcing his celebrity chef wife Nigella Lawson because she did not publicly defend his reputation after images emerged of him grasping her throat in a posh London restaurant.
Tabloid newspapers last month published photos of the incident, which Saatchi described as a "playful tiff" during an intense debate about the couple's children.
The 70-year-old Saatchi was given a police "caution" after admitting assault.
RELATED: Pop Culture's Rockiest Romances
He told Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper that he was "sorry" to announce he will be divorcing Lawson, adding that they have become "estranged" and drifted apart over the past year.
"I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way," he said.
In what the tabloid called an "exclusive statement" breaking the news to Lawson, Saatchi also suggested that Lawson had herself grasped his neck in a similar fashion in the past.
RELATED: The royal couple's favorite sports
The Mail on Sunday said that Lawson was not made aware of the divorce move prior to publication.
Lawson and Saatchi married in 2003 and lived in London with Lawson's son and daughter from her marriage to journalist John Diamond, who died of cancer in 2001, and Saatchi's daughter from a previous marriage.
Lawson's spokesman Mark Hutchinson — who previously has confirmed that she and her children left the family home after the photos were published -- declined to comment on Saatchi's statement.
RELATED: Hottest royal beach bods
Lawson is a well-known TV presenter and chef whose cookbooks are best-sellers in Britain and the United States.
Saatchi, co-founder of the Saatchi & Saatchi ad agency, owns one of London's biggest private art galleries. He was the main patron of the Young British Artists movement of the 1990s, which made household names of artists including Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin.
Get out the vote
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite