Charlotte Rae, Facts of Life Star: My Husband Was Gay, Cheated on Me
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN1 of 4
- Photo: JM11/WENN2 of 4
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN3 of 4
More Celeb News
- Mega Buzz: 24's Reunion, a S.H.I.E.L.D. Return and a New Bones RomanceMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:49:00 PM
- Tumblr Tops Twitter's Social TV Activity, Says New StudyMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Comedy Group Dr. God Sets Up AXS TV Show, Wraps First Feature (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: 5 TakeawaysMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 3:13:00 PM
- Mean Girls Star Daniel Franzese Comes OutMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 3:03:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: 24's Reunion, a S.H.I.E.L.D. Return and a New Bones Romance
Definitely sounds like a bitter "fact of life" to swallow. Now 86 years old, Charlotte Rae is known and beloved by TV fans as Mrs. Edna Garrett, the widowed, maternal woman looking after Jo, Blair, Tootie and Natalie on classic 80s sitcom "The Facts of the Life." But before she became a TV star, the actress dealt with some very serious real-life heartache.
As she writes in her memoir The Facts of My Life -- currently being shopped around to book publishers -- Rae's 25-year marriage to composer John Strauss ended in 1975 with a shocking confession: Shortly after the couple had moved to Los Angeles, Strauss told his wife that he was gay and had cheated on her.
"First came the shock of what he had done behind my back, then the sting of being deceived for years," Rae, who wed the Amadeus soundtrack composer in 1950 and bore him two sons, writes (as excerpted on Page Six). "All I could feel was the betrayal and, worse than that, my shame."
The admission shattered Rae's self image, she admits. "John's secret confirmed my feelings of inferiority . . . That I was less than a woman . . . That I didn't deserve to be loved and valued." Strauss passed away in 2011 after a long battle with Parkinson's disease.
A multiple Emmy and Tony nominee, Rae first appeared as Mrs. Garrett in the first season of Diff'rent Strokes in 1978 before landing a spinoff series in Facts of Life; Diff'rent Strokes' elder star, Conrad Bain (Mr. Drummond) passed away last week at age 89.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the engagement scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBaby Girl!
From Crowd Ignite