Chelsea Handler: 'I Don't Have the Time to Raise a Child'
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 16
- Photo: Juan Rico/Fame Flynet3 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: ER/Fame Flynet5 of 16
- Photo: Juan Rico/Fame Flynet6 of 16
- Photo: Gabriel Olsen/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Wonderwall9 of 16
- Photo: Wonderwall10 of 16
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA11 of 16
- Photo: Juan Rico/Fame Flynet12 of 16
- Photo: KM/Fame Flynet13 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 8:27 a.m. ESTMSNEntertainment 12/13/2013 3:53:18 AM
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (PossibMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 3:18:15 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Porcelain Horse' Writer-Director on the 'ExpecMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:39 PM
- Award-Winning Producers to Finance Documentary About Forgotten Film Legend (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:13 PM
- Obama Nominates Sony's Tom Rothman to National Council on the ArtsMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:47:27 PM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 8:27 a.m. EST
Chelsea Handler has said it before, and now she's saying it again: "I definitely don't want to have kids." The 38-year-old "Chelsea Lately" host explained her decision to not have children during the Apr. 27 episode of "The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet."
"I don't think I'd be a great mother," the New Jersey native said. "I don't want to have a kid and have it raised by a nanny. I don't have the time to raise a child. Childhood was heartbreaking enough for anybody. I don't know that I could handle my own child, especially if I had a girl, going through what I went through growing up. Not that it was so traumatic, but in many ways, it was in your own way."
Handler, the youngest of five children, also opened up about her long-distance relationship with wealthy hotelier Andre Balazs, her on-and-off love since the spring of 2011. "My boyfriend is as busy as I am, so we both make time. I think if you want to be in a relationship with someone, you both make it happen, and we do," the "My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands" author said of the divorced father of two, 56. "We're fortunate enough to be able to have the wherewithal and the resources to kind of meet each other all over the place."
The comedienne, whose exes include rapper 50 Cent and animal trainer Dave Salmoni, said she actually prefers having a bicoastal relationship. (Handler resides primarily in Los Angeles, while Balazs lives in New York.)
"It's always fun. It's always exciting," Handler revealed. "He's very romantic. He's very good for me and I'm very good for him. He's pretentious and I'm not, so I take him down a notch and he brings me up a notch."
Though the pair have broken up twice, they've since learned how to better understand each other's needs. "We had some troubles in the beginning because we were both fighting who the other person was. Everything you like about somebody you end up detesting about them. . . Finally, we both calmed down and then we were able to come together in a much different way," Handler said. "But I'm grateful to be in an adult relationship because I always figured, 'Oh, I'll just have sex with a bunch of guys and have my career.'"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Kristen Stewart, Paula Abdul, and Kim Kardashian all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
"Shah's of Sunset" star Asa Soltan talks about this season's drama, possible wedding bells with her boyfriend and more.Watch Video »
Find out why Lena Dunham, Jaden Smith, and Rihanna need fashion resolutions for 2014.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'70s Style
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite