Cory Monteith's dad talks son's tragic death: 'He was involved a little more in drugs than anybody knew'
- Photo: Byron Purvis/Retna Ltd.1 of 11
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA2 of 11
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA3 of 11
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA4 of 11
- Photo: Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: GettyImages.com6 of 11
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Rex USA7 of 11
- Photo: Invision/AP8 of 11
- Photo: Rex USA9 of 11
- Photo: @neneleakes/Instagram10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From SonyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Booboo Stewart Drama 'Sonata' Plucks Director Brendan Foley (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Look Out, Camp Counselors: A Friday the 13th Series Is in the WorksMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:26:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Draws Fire in New IMAX Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:09:00 PM
- What Is Survivor's Jeremiah "Kicking Himself" Over?MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From Sony
Cory Monteith's friends and family are still reeling from the news that the "Glee" actor is gone forever. In a new interview with ET Canada, the star's estranged father, Joe Monteith, recounted the moment he found out on July 13 that his 31-year-old son had died of a deadly drug combination.
"When they did break the news to my wife, she almost fell over, in fact, I had to grab her," said Joe, who divorced Cory's mother, Ann McGregor, when Cory was 7. "And I had to ask them again what was that you said? It really didn't sink in. It still really hasn't."
Joe, who was estranged from the FOX star until recently, said that it was Cory's mother who first became aware of their son's drug abuse.
"I guess he was involved a little more in drugs than anybody knew at the time," he said. "His mother, who was there with him all the time, she started picking up on it, you know -- stuff was missing, money here, stuff like that."
On Tuesday, Cory's body was cremated in Vancouver, British Columbia, following a private viewing with his mother, brother Shaun, and girlfriend Lea Michele, TMZ reported. Joe was not in attendance at the viewing and told the site he was "totally devastated" that he didn't get a chance to say goodbye.
"I always loved both my sons and am going to miss Cory very, very much," Joe told TMZ. "I'm saddened at the fact that I couldn't have been there to see my son before he was cremated."
As Us Weekly previously reported, the British Columbia Coroners Service confirmed on Tuesday that the cause of Monteith's sudden death was "mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol." The actor had recently completed a stay in rehab for his addiction, but he relapsed before his passing. He was found dead in his room at the Fairmount Pacific Rim Hotel on July 13.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCat's in the Bag
From Crowd Ignite