Cory Monteith's death: How Lea Michele found out
- Photo: Michael Kovac/WireImage1 of 12
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/Invision/AP2 of 12
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA3 of 12
- Photo: Marquez/Fame Flynet4 of 12
- Photo: MWA/ZOJ/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Scylla/CHARYBDIS/Fame Flynet6 of 12
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Byron Purvis/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.8 of 12
- Photo: GVK/NPG9 of 12
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks10 of 12
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP11 of 12
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
Lea Michele got the phone call no one ever wants to get the evening of July 13. The 26-year-old "Glee" star's co-star and real-life boyfriend of more than a year, Cory Monteith, was dead at the young age of 31.
A source tells Us Weekly that Michele got the heartbreaking call in Los Angeles at around 10 p.m. that evening. The person on the other end of the line had been desperate to reach her before the news broke. Monteith had been found dead just past noon in a Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room.
"Lea completely lost her mind," says a confidant. "She went crazy, screaming and crying until 3 a.m."
Devastated, the actress went into seclusion in L.A. "Lea has been inconsolable and feels like she's been hit by a truck," says the friend. "She didn't know he'd started using again." Monteith spent the month of April in rehab, but toxicology reports revealed on July 16 that the Canadian-born actor had accidentally overdosed on heroin and alcohol.
While mourning the loss of her love, Michele is focusing on planning his funeral arrangements. "She's been talking with Cory's family the entire time and wants to plan the whole funeral," an insider previously told Us. Though the source said Michele is "planning the whole thing," a second insider told Us she is still struggling to cope with his death. "She's not doing great," the insider said. "She's totally devastated."
TMZ reported that Monteith was cremated in Vancouver on Tuesday. Michele reportedly attended a private viewing with his family.
That same day, she broke her silence about Monteith's passing in a statement through her rep. "Lea is deeply grateful for all the love and support she's received from family, friends, and fans," Michele's rep told Us. "Since Cory's passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together. We continue to ask the media to respect the privacy of Lea and Cory's family."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicole Richie, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite