Countdown: Most Powerful Gay CelebritiesRelated: Countdowns, Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, Elton John, Jane Lynch
- Photo: Shea Walsh/AP1 of 16
By Michelle Lanz
We've come a long way since the days when gays had to stay in the closet or risk being harassed and discriminated against. Not to say that some people aren't subject to others' intolerance today, but more and more gays and lesbians are holding positions of power and influence. Let's take a look at some of the most powerful gays in media.
15. Tim Gunn
Occupation: Fashion consultant and TV personality
Why so powerful: After a long career on the faculty at Parsons School for Design in New York, Gunn became an onscreen mentor for fledgling designers on the show "Project Runway" when it premiered in 2004. Gunn was hired away from Parsons by Liz Claiborne in 2007 and is currently the fashion label's chief creative officer. Gunn is openly gay and has appeared in a TV PSA for the "It Gets Better" project, which advocates for the prevention of suicide by LGBT youth.
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite