'Dancing With the Stars' Judges Praise Chaz Bono's 'Cheeky, Joyous' Cha Cha
- Photo: Ed Ruvalcaba / London Ent./Splash News1 of 2
More Celeb News
- Jack O'Connell Thriller '71' Acquired by Roadside Attractions, Black LabeMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 3:00:00 PM
- The Biz: Jimmy Kimmel on Letterman, Fallon, and Late-Night Booking WarsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 2:44:00 PM
- Politician Apologizes for 'Racist' Tweet About NBA and Street Crime After StandinMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 2:22:00 PM
- Extant Exclusive: Louis Gossett Jr. to Play Halle Berry's FatherMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 2:22:00 PM
- 'Believe' Review: a Good Girl in Need of Darth VaderMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 2:18:00 PM
- Jack O'Connell Thriller '71' Acquired by Roadside Attractions, Black Labe
Chaz sure can cha cha!
No "Dancing With the Stars" competitor felt the premiere night pressure more than Chaz Bono, and despite his jitters, the LGBT activist delivered on Monday's show with a routine that drew raves from fans and the judges alike.
Performing last on the Season 13 premiere, the show's first-ever transgender contestant, 42, and his pro partner Lacey Schwimmer, offered up a cha cha that was worth the wait.
"People have been waiting all night to see you dance and you did not disappoint," judge Carrie Ann Inaba gushed after Bono and Schwimmer's lively performance, making special note of his "precise" footwork and "sharp" choreography.
Fellow judge Bruno Tonioli also raved about Bono -- calling his number "cheeky and joyous" -- but it was Len Goodman who offered the most apt critique to "Razzmatazz Chaz."
"You really came out with the right attitude, [and] you came out to enjoy yourself," noted the judge.
For his part, Bono (who placed in the middle of the 'DWTS' pack with a score of 17/30) was proud.
"I've gotten so much support and I really wanted to do a good job for the people supporting me," Bono told co-host Brooke Burke Charvet after his dance. "[Physically it's] pretty challenging, but it's fun, and I'm really having the time of my life!"
Bono wasn't the only 'DWTS' celeb to win raves on Monday's show. Chynna Phillips and partner Tony Dovolani tied for first place with JR Martinez and Karina Smirnoff, each earning a score of 22 out of 30. At the bottom of the leaderboard this week were Ron "Metta World Peace" Artest and Peta Murgatroyd, who earned a score of 14 out of 30 points.
Tell Us: Which couple was your favorite on Monday night's 'Dancing With the Stars' premiere?
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite