Dax Shepard: I Loved 'Cocaine and Jack Daniel's' Before Kristen Bell
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Esquire6 of 11
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: Venturini/Bauer-Griffin8 of 11
- Photo: Christopher Polk/Getty Images North America9 of 11
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From SonyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Booboo Stewart Drama 'Sonata' Plucks Director Brendan Foley (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Look Out, Camp Counselors: A Friday the 13th Series Is in the WorksMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:26:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Draws Fire in New IMAX Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:09:00 PM
- What Is Survivor's Jeremiah "Kicking Himself" Over?MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From Sony
"Kristen's a good girl. She grew up very Christian, went straight to college, did great in school and started work immediately. She's charitable and philanthropic and rescues dogs. So when we met, our backgrounds were opposites," Shepard, 37, told Playboy. "All the things I'd done were terrifying to her, and she had a hard time believing I would ever be able to stay married and monogamous and a father and all those things. For the first year and a half we were together that was what we battled over almost weekly."
What kinds of things did Shepard do that scared his bride-to-be?
"I just loved to get f---ed-up -- drinking, cocaine, opiates, marijuana, diet pills, pain pills, everything. Mostly my love was Jack Daniel's and cocaine," Shepard recalled. "I lived for going down the rabbit hole of meeting weird people. Of course, come Monday I would be tallying up all the different situations, and each one was progressively more dangerous. I got lucky in that I didn’t go to jail."
Shepard and Bell, 32, have been engaged for over two years. And although the "Hit and Run" c-ostars seem like complete opposites, Shepard argues that that's exactly why people should be happy for their relationship.
"Here's the funny thing about the response I've been aware of to my dating famous people: It's been very negative. I'm either not good-looking enough, not a good enough actor or not successful enough for these people," the "Parenthood" actor said. "It's ironic, really. Guys should be excited that I got Kristen Bell. If Brad Pitt gets Kristen Bell, it's like, 'Well, of course he did.' With me, it should be, 'Oh good, a normal-looking guy got her. Maybe I'll get me a Kristen Bell.' But guys hate my guts for always dating women I have no right to be with.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Dax Shepard: I Loved "Cocaine and Jack Daniel's" Before Kristen Bell
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCat's in the Bag
From Crowd Ignite