Dax Shepard: I Loved 'Cocaine and Jack Daniel's' Before Kristen Bell
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Esquire6 of 11
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: Venturini/Bauer-Griffin8 of 11
- Photo: Christopher Polk/Getty Images North America9 of 11
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action seriesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:48:47 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:22 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:52 PM
- Made in America music festival rocks Los AngelesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:43 PM
- 'Escape From New York' Reboot Following 'Group' Thinking of &MSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:20:00 PM
- Joan Rivers Has Been Put on Life SupportMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:06:00 PM
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action series
"Kristen's a good girl. She grew up very Christian, went straight to college, did great in school and started work immediately. She's charitable and philanthropic and rescues dogs. So when we met, our backgrounds were opposites," Shepard, 37, told Playboy. "All the things I'd done were terrifying to her, and she had a hard time believing I would ever be able to stay married and monogamous and a father and all those things. For the first year and a half we were together that was what we battled over almost weekly."
What kinds of things did Shepard do that scared his bride-to-be?
"I just loved to get f---ed-up -- drinking, cocaine, opiates, marijuana, diet pills, pain pills, everything. Mostly my love was Jack Daniel's and cocaine," Shepard recalled. "I lived for going down the rabbit hole of meeting weird people. Of course, come Monday I would be tallying up all the different situations, and each one was progressively more dangerous. I got lucky in that I didn’t go to jail."
Shepard and Bell, 32, have been engaged for over two years. And although the "Hit and Run" c-ostars seem like complete opposites, Shepard argues that that's exactly why people should be happy for their relationship.
"Here's the funny thing about the response I've been aware of to my dating famous people: It's been very negative. I'm either not good-looking enough, not a good enough actor or not successful enough for these people," the "Parenthood" actor said. "It's ironic, really. Guys should be excited that I got Kristen Bell. If Brad Pitt gets Kristen Bell, it's like, 'Well, of course he did.' With me, it should be, 'Oh good, a normal-looking guy got her. Maybe I'll get me a Kristen Bell.' But guys hate my guts for always dating women I have no right to be with.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Dax Shepard: I Loved "Cocaine and Jack Daniel's" Before Kristen Bell
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and Selena Gomez all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite