'DWTS' Dancer to Mothers: Banning Kids From the Show Because of Chaz is 'Ludicrous'
- Photo: Veronica Summers/Splash News1 of 10
- Photo: Nathanael Jones/Pacific Coast News2 of 10
- Photo: FayesVision/FS2/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Ed Ruvalcaba / London Ent./Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com5 of 10
- Photo: EUGENE GOLOGURSKY PHOTOGRAPHY/Wonderwall6 of 10
- Photo: JE1/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com8 of 10
- Photo: Tony Gutierrez/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 4:18:23 PM
- Orel Hershiser Joining Dodgers TV Broadcast Team (Report)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:52:05 PM
- 'Metro Manila' Comes Out on Top at British Independent Film AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:46:27 PM
- Susan Boyle Calls Asperger's Diagnosis a ReliefMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 1:35:40 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Felicity Jones Anything But an 'Invisible Woman' as DickMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:40:09 PM
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign
By Jon Warech, with reporting by Mary Kosearas
The 13th season of "Dancing With the Stars" kicks off tonight, and all eyes will be on Chaz Bono -- the transgender son of Sonny Bono and Cher -- who has been a hot topic in the press for his involvement with the show.
Some opponents of a transgender person's right to dance have suggested that parents not allow their children to watch the show, but dancer Peta Murgatroyd, who is partnered with NBA star Ron Artest this season, thinks everyone has a right to be footloose in the "DWTS" ballroom.
"It is ridiculous," she tells Wonderwall of the backlash, while attending the Entertainment Tonight Emmy After-Party presented by Visit California at Vibiana in downtown Los Angeles. "He's actually one of my best friends on the show. I don't see what all the hype is about. People, like mothers, telling ABC they won't let their kids watch the show now is just ludicrous."
RELATED: Kirstie Alley stuns on the runway
Murgatroyd's hope is that when people watch the show, they'll get to know Chaz better and see exactly what she sees in Bono.
"He's intelligent, witty, smart -- everything you would want in a beautiful person," she said. "And he just has a soft and beautiful nature. The whole package really."
RELATED: Ryan Gosling's "Rambo" love
Murgatroyd, the New Zealand native who is making her debut as a featured pro this season, is not getting distracted by the Chaz buzz out there. Instead, she is focusing her attention on helping her NBA champion partner, Ron Artest (who recently had his name legally changed to Meta World Peace), become a champion dancer.
"He's getting more natural," she said. "We're getting more into the Latin American style; we're doing cha cha so I had to get him working a little bit. For a 6-foot-7 guy, it's kind of hard to get him down low and get him bending and stuff."
She adds, "I call him Meta usually when I'm really angry with him or when he doesn't do something right I yell at him."
Even though Murgatroyd thinks Ricki Lake is their toughest competition, she likes their odds if fans can give Peace a chance, and forget some of his troubled past.
"He's been in controversy over the years so I hope people can put that behind them and see the really cool person that I get to see every day."
"Dancing With the Stars" kicks off tonight at 8 p.m. on ABC.
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Malin Akerman, Courtney Love, and Florence Welch all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAdele's PDA
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite