Ellen DeGeneres asks supreme court to end gay marriage ban
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 17
- Photo: @theellenshow/Twitter3 of 17
- Photo: @theellenshow/Twitter4 of 17
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 17
- Photo: @theellenshow/Twitter6 of 17
- Photo: Alex Brandon/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: @theellenshow/Twitter8 of 17
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks10 of 17
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks11 of 17
- Photo: FS2/WENN12 of 17
- Photo: FS2/WENN13 of 17
- Photo: BSA/ZOJ/WENN14 of 17
- Photo: Michael Wright/WENN15 of 17
- Photo: FRIOLO/NPG16 of 17
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
With a touch of her trademark humor, Ellen DeGeneres tackles a very serious topic close to the talk show host's heart: gay marriage.
In an open letter posted to her website, Ellen reaches out to members of the Supreme Court, who will soon decide the fate of same-sex couples who wish to wed.
RELATED: Best TMI Tweets
"Portia and I have been married for 4 years and they have been the happiest of my life," she blogs of her longtime partner Portia De Rossi. "And in those 4 years, I don't think we hurt anyone else's marriage. I asked all of my neighbors and they say they're fine."
Ellen, who tied the knot in 2008 during a brief period when gay marriage was legal in California, now urges the powers that be to open their heart and extend the privilege to every gay couple.
RELATED: Celebritweets: Election Edition
"I hope the Supreme Court will do the right thing, and let everyone enjoy the same rights," Ellen writes. "It's going to help keep families together. It's going to make kids feel better about who they are. And it is time."
In closing the comedian writes, "In the words of Benjamin Franklin, 'We're here, we're queer, get over it.'"
Read Ellen's entire plea to the supreme court here.
Related stories on ETonline.com:
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTYear in Romance
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite