Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi to Open a Vegan Restaurant
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP1 of 14
- Photo: Anthony Monterotti/Pacific Coast News2 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: MSN4 of 14
- Photo: WENN5 of 14
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP6 of 14
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP7 of 14
- Photo: VT/DK/PW/Splash News8 of 14
- Photo: Dimension Films/Promotional9 of 14
- Photo: Parade10 of 14
- Photo: Mark Lennihan/Invision/AP11 of 14
- Photo: Fern/Splash News12 of 14
- Photo: RAH/ZOJ/WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Need More Sarah Palin? Right-Wing Firebrand Launches Online TV ChannelMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 11:42:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 11:13 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 8:13:21 PM
- The Leftovers' Amy Brenneman: Laurie's "Not So Fragile" AnymoreMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 8:00:00 PM
- Comic-Con: How 'Bates Motel' Makes Norman and His Mom More Likable (Guest Blog)MSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 7:49:00 PM
- 'Manhattan' Creator on Doomsday Drama: 'Americans Never Met an ApocalypseMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 5:57:00 PM
- Need More Sarah Palin? Right-Wing Firebrand Launches Online TV Channel
They've chalked up years of successful film and TV credits, and now Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi are adding 'restaurateurs' to their resume.
The Hollywood Reporter says the married pair are the latest investors -- partnering with singer Chrissie Hynde and producer Steve Bing -- in a new vegan eatery set to open in California's San Fernando Valley.
Vegan chef Tal Ronnen -- who catered the couple's vegan wedding in 2008 -- will design the menu for the Ventura Boulevard restaurant.
Veganism -- practiced by those who do not eat any animal or dairy products -- has long been a pet cause of DeGeneres, who launched a vegan blog, "Going Vegan With Ellen," this year as part of her daily talk show.
In an interview with Katie Couric, animal lover DeGeneres, 53, reveals why she adopted the lifestyle in 2008.
"I forced myself to watch a documentary called Earthlings that's inside footage of factory farms and dairy farms," the talk show host and comic told Couric. "You see that and go 'I can't participate in that. I can't be a part of something that is suffering.' Fifty billion animals a year are killed and I think we all fool ourselves that it's a quick death, and it's a very disturbing reality."
Since revamping her diet, DeGeneres has seen immeasurable long-term effects.
"I do it because I love animals and saw the reality and couldn't ignore it anymore. I'm healthier for it, I'm happier for it," she told Couric. "I believe in positive thinking and I can't imagine that if you're putting something in your body that's filled with fear or anxiety or pain, that isn't going to be inside of you. I used to be a more anxious person and sad, and I think not putting that stuff in my body [has helped]."
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
See how Taylor Swift has been rocking red over the years.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Beyonce to Jennifer Lopez, see how these stars keep their figures trim.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite