Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi to Open a Vegan Restaurant
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP1 of 14
- Photo: Anthony Monterotti/Pacific Coast News2 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: MSN4 of 14
- Photo: WENN5 of 14
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP6 of 14
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP7 of 14
- Photo: VT/DK/PW/Splash News8 of 14
- Photo: Dimension Films/Promotional9 of 14
- Photo: Parade10 of 14
- Photo: Mark Lennihan/Invision/AP11 of 14
- Photo: Fern/Splash News12 of 14
- Photo: RAH/ZOJ/WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- 'The Good Wife' Review: Legal Drama Ditches the Grief for Dynamic StorytellingMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:26:00 AM
- Jessica Chastain's 'Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby' Stumbles in SpecialtyMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:08:00 AM
- Gabrielle Union Vows to Contact FBI After Stolen Topless Photos Are LeakedMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 8:44:00 AM
- Why Is Hope Solo Allowed to Play Soccer Despite Domestic Abuse Charges?MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 8:19:00 AM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late Arr
They've chalked up years of successful film and TV credits, and now Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi are adding 'restaurateurs' to their resume.
The Hollywood Reporter says the married pair are the latest investors -- partnering with singer Chrissie Hynde and producer Steve Bing -- in a new vegan eatery set to open in California's San Fernando Valley.
Vegan chef Tal Ronnen -- who catered the couple's vegan wedding in 2008 -- will design the menu for the Ventura Boulevard restaurant.
Veganism -- practiced by those who do not eat any animal or dairy products -- has long been a pet cause of DeGeneres, who launched a vegan blog, "Going Vegan With Ellen," this year as part of her daily talk show.
In an interview with Katie Couric, animal lover DeGeneres, 53, reveals why she adopted the lifestyle in 2008.
"I forced myself to watch a documentary called Earthlings that's inside footage of factory farms and dairy farms," the talk show host and comic told Couric. "You see that and go 'I can't participate in that. I can't be a part of something that is suffering.' Fifty billion animals a year are killed and I think we all fool ourselves that it's a quick death, and it's a very disturbing reality."
Since revamping her diet, DeGeneres has seen immeasurable long-term effects.
"I do it because I love animals and saw the reality and couldn't ignore it anymore. I'm healthier for it, I'm happier for it," she told Couric. "I believe in positive thinking and I can't imagine that if you're putting something in your body that's filled with fear or anxiety or pain, that isn't going to be inside of you. I used to be a more anxious person and sad, and I think not putting that stuff in my body [has helped]."
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite