Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi to Open a Vegan Restaurant
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP1 of 14
- Photo: Anthony Monterotti/Pacific Coast News2 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: MSN4 of 14
- Photo: WENN5 of 14
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP6 of 14
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP7 of 14
- Photo: VT/DK/PW/Splash News8 of 14
- Photo: Dimension Films/Promotional9 of 14
- Photo: Parade10 of 14
- Photo: Mark Lennihan/Invision/AP11 of 14
- Photo: Fern/Splash News12 of 14
- Photo: RAH/ZOJ/WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Thursday TV: Rectify Finale, Simpsons MarathonMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 6:36:00 AM
- 'The View' Gets New Logo and Set for New SeasonMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 6:19:00 AM
- 7 Breakout Movie Stars of Fall 2014 From a 'Gone Girl' to a 'Maze RunnerMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 12:19:00 AM
- Aaron Paul Announces 'Breaking Bad' Los Angeles Scavenger HuntMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 12:06:00 AM
- 'Big Brother': Kathy Griffin Joins Zingbot to Roast Remaining HouseguestsMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 11:16:00 PM
- Thursday TV: Rectify Finale, Simpsons Marathon
They've chalked up years of successful film and TV credits, and now Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi are adding 'restaurateurs' to their resume.
The Hollywood Reporter says the married pair are the latest investors -- partnering with singer Chrissie Hynde and producer Steve Bing -- in a new vegan eatery set to open in California's San Fernando Valley.
Vegan chef Tal Ronnen -- who catered the couple's vegan wedding in 2008 -- will design the menu for the Ventura Boulevard restaurant.
Veganism -- practiced by those who do not eat any animal or dairy products -- has long been a pet cause of DeGeneres, who launched a vegan blog, "Going Vegan With Ellen," this year as part of her daily talk show.
In an interview with Katie Couric, animal lover DeGeneres, 53, reveals why she adopted the lifestyle in 2008.
"I forced myself to watch a documentary called Earthlings that's inside footage of factory farms and dairy farms," the talk show host and comic told Couric. "You see that and go 'I can't participate in that. I can't be a part of something that is suffering.' Fifty billion animals a year are killed and I think we all fool ourselves that it's a quick death, and it's a very disturbing reality."
Since revamping her diet, DeGeneres has seen immeasurable long-term effects.
"I do it because I love animals and saw the reality and couldn't ignore it anymore. I'm healthier for it, I'm happier for it," she told Couric. "I believe in positive thinking and I can't imagine that if you're putting something in your body that's filled with fear or anxiety or pain, that isn't going to be inside of you. I used to be a more anxious person and sad, and I think not putting that stuff in my body [has helped]."
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite