Erika Christensen on Scientology: People Assume We Worship Rabbits
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com1 of 3
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com2 of 3
More Celeb News
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:39:13 PM
- HBO Passes on Darren Aronofsky Pilot 'Hobgoblin,' FX Eyes Project (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:34:40 PM
- Journalist Michael Hastings Dead at 33MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:21:05 PM
- Paul Feig Developing Female James Bond Comedy 'Susan Cooper'MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:06:06 PM
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million OwedMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:18:15 PM
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection
Erika Christensen is the latest Hollywood star to clear the air about Scientology.
The 30-year-old actress -- a lifelong member of the Church of Scientology -- chatted with her "Parenthood" co-star Joy Bryant about the controversial religion in a recent interview on Bryant's "Across the Board" Web series, poking fun at some of the public's misconceptions.
"[People assume] we're some kind of closed group and we're just the Hollywood religion and we worship rabbits," joked the actress of the faith practiced by Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, Beck and other stars. "I don't actually know how many people think that."
Christensen explained that she was raised in the church by her Scientology parents, Kathy and Steven Christensen, and has no issue with introducing her future children to the religion's practices. Watch "Across the Board" by clicking here.
"I would expose to them ... this is what I do, which is how my parents did it, because my parents are Scientologists," she said. "When I was seven, they did this demonstration. There is this thing in Scientology, it's a study method to demonstrate things out."
"I would give them the option of, like, these are our study tools," she continued. "You can use them in school, get good grades, learn."
Though Scientology has often been characterized as a cult-like religion, the actress explained that for her, following its practices has always been more about the individual than the group.
"If I had to sum it up, the goal of Scientology is giving the person back to themselves," she told Bryant. "Like, your own power of choice."
In a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Cruise's ex-wife Nicole Kidman spoke briefly about her children with Cruise, Connor and Isabella, and their decision to accept the religion.
"I've chosen not to speak publicly about Scientology," she told the magazine. "I have two children [adopted with Cruise] who are Scientologists -- Connor [the Red Dawn actor is now 17] and Isabella  -- and I utterly respect their beliefs." (Catholic-born Kidman, who is now married to country singer Keith Urban and has two young daughters, no longer follows the faith).
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
The strangest celebrity conspiracy theories
- Spike TV's 2013 Guys Choice Awards
- 2013 GLAAD Awards
- 2013 Coachella Hard Rock Lounge
- 2013 MTV Movie Awards
- Kids' Choice Awards 2013
- Elton John's Oscar Viewing Bash
- 2013 Grammy Awards
- 2013 Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party
- 2013 Critics' Choice Movie Awards
- 2012 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 'Breaking Dawn: Part 2' Premiere Red Carpet
- 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Video Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- 'The Dictator' London Premiere
- 2012 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 MTV Video Music Awards
- 2011 MTV Movie Awards
- 2011 Kids' Choice Awards Orange Carpet
- 2011 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Golden Globes NBC After Party Red Carpet
- 2011 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 MTV Video Music Awards White Carpet
- 2010 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- Spike Awards Red Carpet
- MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- Wango Tango Red Carpet
- Hot Tub Time Machine Red Carpet
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Beyonce posts behind-the-scenes shots of the Mrs. Carter Show World Tour on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite