Eva Longoria hosting Latino celebration for Barack Obama's inaugurationRelated: Eva Longoria
- Photo: JD3/WENN1 of 10
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Wonderwall2 of 10
- Photo: JAAA/ZDS/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: GVK/Bauer-Griffin4 of 10
- Photo: DJDM/WENN5 of 10
- Photo: D. Salters//WENN6 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/AP7 of 10
- Photo: Michael Wright/WENN8 of 10
- Photo: Thumbs42/FAMEFLYNET PICTURES/Fame Flynet9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:39:13 PM
- HBO Passes on Darren Aronofsky Pilot 'Hobgoblin,' FX Eyes Project (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:34:40 PM
- Journalist Michael Hastings Dead at 33MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:21:05 PM
- Paul Feig Developing Female James Bond Comedy 'Susan Cooper'MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:06:06 PM
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million OwedMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:18:15 PM
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection
Brett Zongker, The Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Following an election when Latinos showed their growing political influence, a coalition of groups is coordinating a gathering of top Latino entertainers at the Kennedy Center in a series of events ahead of President Barack Obama's inauguration.
RELATED: Who did the stars vote for?
Eva Longoria, George Lopez, Mario Lopez, Chita Rivera and Rita Moreno are among a group of prominent performers who will gather Sunday, Jan. 20 for "Latino Inaugural 2013: In Performance at the Kennedy Center." Details of the tribute performance were announced Tuesday.
Longoria, a co-chair of Obama's inauguration festivities, is hosting the event. Additional performers will include Jose Feliciano, Melanie Griffith, New York City's Ballet Hispanico, Coro de Ninos de San Juan (the San Juan Children's Choir) and others.
In a statement, the former "Desperate Housewives" star said the inaugural events will foster more Latino engagement in Washington.
"Latinos played a critical role in this year's elections and helped tip the scales in President Obama's victory. But we are not waiting another four years to make an impact on our country's future," she said. "What better way to establish our presence at these inaugural celebrations than by showcasing the beauty and diversity of our culture at the nation's premier performing arts center."
The Latino inaugural gathering is driven in part by organizers of The Futuro Fund, which helped mobilize Latino support for the Obama-Biden re-election campaign. Millions of Hispanic voters turned out with 71 percent support for Obama. Republican candidate Mitt Romney's 27 percent Hispanic support was less than any presidential candidate in 16 years, drawing calls for Republicans to rethink their approach to Latinos.
Andres Lopez, a San Juan, Puerto Rico attorney and activist who was a national chairman of the election effort, said Latinos represent the nation's future.
"The story of Latinos is the story of America," he said. "Latinos made history in a big way this presidential election, and we look forward to writing the next chapter of this amazing story over the next four years."
The Kennedy Center is presenting the event with no charge to the organizers in two of its large theaters. The events come as the cultural center has been criticized for excluding Latinos from its high-profile Kennedy Center Honors.
Tickets went on sale Tuesday at the Kennedy Center box office, starting at $300 for the live performance in the center's Opera House and $150 for a simulcast in the center's Eisenhower Theater. A party will follow the show on the eve of Obama's public swearing in. It was not clear whether Obama would attend.
It's part of a three-day series of lectures and events focused on Latino issues. Coordinators include the National Council of La Raza and the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials.
RELATED: Obama drinking beer
San Antonio philanthropist and business leader Henry Munoz III, who is coordinating the entertainment event with Longoria and Andres Lopez, said Latinos deserve a place at the center of U.S. culture.
"The Kennedy Center is our nation's theater," he said. "As we inaugurate President Barack Obama, it is important to recall what President John F. Kennedy knew: that beyond the battles of politics 'we will be remembered for our contributions to the human spirit.'"
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite