Jane Fonda says she suffered low self-esteem over dad's criticism
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: JBD/ZJE/http://www.wenn.com/2 of 16
- Photo: VPB/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: Promotional5 of 16
- Photo: Paramount Pictures6 of 16
- Photo: Lennox McLendon/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: Promotional10 of 16
- Photo: DOUG PIZAC/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: V/Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin/.12 of 16
- Photo: V/Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin/.13 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
By email@example.com (WENN Newsdesk)
Actress Jane Fonda says she developed a negative body image after overhearing her actor dad, Henry, criticize her looks.
RELATED: The top 25 hottest fitness icons
Fonda tells Britain's You magazine, "I was brought up to feel fat, though my father wouldn't tell me directly -- he'd get one of his wives (Fonda married five times) to tell me that I shouldn't wear a bikini. One day, I overheard him talking about me, and I can't even tell you what he said because it traumatized me and I can't pretend I'll ever get over it.
RELATED: The most famous celeb protesters
"So I was the product of objectifying parents and also a product of the '50s, when the way a woman looked was so important. It's why I pay attention to my appearance now. I believed that to be loved you had to be perfect, and even though I've got over that now, it took a long time."
Fonda went on to battle bulimia and says none of her three husbands noticed her eating disorder.
She adds, "We develop addictions because we're missing something, and my addiction was food. I moved outside myself, left a big empty space inside, and tried to fill it with food. I went through phases of binging and purging, and it was many years before I could sit at a table without feeling any anxiety. Bulimia is very easy to hide, but you can't be intimate with people if you're an addict."
RELATED: The best celeb mugshots
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite