Jane Fonda says she suffered low self-esteem over dad's criticism
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: JBD/ZJE/http://www.wenn.com/2 of 16
- Photo: VPB/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: Promotional5 of 16
- Photo: Paramount Pictures6 of 16
- Photo: Lennox McLendon/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: Promotional10 of 16
- Photo: DOUG PIZAC/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: V/Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin/.12 of 16
- Photo: V/Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin/.13 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Oscar Hopefuls Facing Make-or-Break Time at the Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 9:03:39 AM
- Lars von Trier's 'Nymphomaniac' Getting Released in Two PartsMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 8:45:01 AM
- Ratings: NBC Has Top-Rated 'Christmas in Rockefeller Center' in 7 YearsMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 8:34:07 AM
- Stephen Colbert: Do-Nothing Congress Does Something for Chimps (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 8:25:07 AM
- Aereo Expanding to Baltimore Dec. 16MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 7:48:11 AM
- Oscar Hopefuls Facing Make-or-Break Time at the Box Office
By email@example.com (WENN Newsdesk)
Actress Jane Fonda says she developed a negative body image after overhearing her actor dad, Henry, criticize her looks.
RELATED: The top 25 hottest fitness icons
Fonda tells Britain's You magazine, "I was brought up to feel fat, though my father wouldn't tell me directly -- he'd get one of his wives (Fonda married five times) to tell me that I shouldn't wear a bikini. One day, I overheard him talking about me, and I can't even tell you what he said because it traumatized me and I can't pretend I'll ever get over it.
RELATED: The most famous celeb protesters
"So I was the product of objectifying parents and also a product of the '50s, when the way a woman looked was so important. It's why I pay attention to my appearance now. I believed that to be loved you had to be perfect, and even though I've got over that now, it took a long time."
Fonda went on to battle bulimia and says none of her three husbands noticed her eating disorder.
She adds, "We develop addictions because we're missing something, and my addiction was food. I moved outside myself, left a big empty space inside, and tried to fill it with food. I went through phases of binging and purging, and it was many years before I could sit at a table without feeling any anxiety. Bulimia is very easy to hide, but you can't be intimate with people if you're an addict."
RELATED: The best celeb mugshots
Girls Night Out
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Check out some of Ryan Gosling's hottest moments from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Elsa Pataky to Ginnifer Goodwin, see some of Hollywood's new baby bumps on Wonderwall Replay.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBen vs. Casey
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite