Jane Fonda says she suffered low self-esteem over dad's criticism
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: JBD/ZJE/http://www.wenn.com/2 of 16
- Photo: VPB/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: Promotional5 of 16
- Photo: Paramount Pictures6 of 16
- Photo: Lennox McLendon/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: Promotional10 of 16
- Photo: DOUG PIZAC/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: V/Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin/.12 of 16
- Photo: V/Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin/.13 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:58:00 PM
- ESPN's SEC Network Scores Carriage Deal With Time Warner Cable, Bright HouseMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:48:00 PM
- Museums plan Piero di Cosimo exhibit in US, ItalyMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:37:49 PM
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Offer Early Look at 'Interstellar'MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Dwayne Johnson holds surprise 'Hercules' screeningMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:16:28 PM
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season
By firstname.lastname@example.org (WENN Newsdesk)
Actress Jane Fonda says she developed a negative body image after overhearing her actor dad, Henry, criticize her looks.
RELATED: The top 25 hottest fitness icons
Fonda tells Britain's You magazine, "I was brought up to feel fat, though my father wouldn't tell me directly -- he'd get one of his wives (Fonda married five times) to tell me that I shouldn't wear a bikini. One day, I overheard him talking about me, and I can't even tell you what he said because it traumatized me and I can't pretend I'll ever get over it.
RELATED: The most famous celeb protesters
"So I was the product of objectifying parents and also a product of the '50s, when the way a woman looked was so important. It's why I pay attention to my appearance now. I believed that to be loved you had to be perfect, and even though I've got over that now, it took a long time."
Fonda went on to battle bulimia and says none of her three husbands noticed her eating disorder.
She adds, "We develop addictions because we're missing something, and my addiction was food. I moved outside myself, left a big empty space inside, and tried to fill it with food. I went through phases of binging and purging, and it was many years before I could sit at a table without feeling any anxiety. Bulimia is very easy to hide, but you can't be intimate with people if you're an addict."
RELATED: The best celeb mugshots
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite