Giuliana Rancic: I Have Breast Cancer at 37
- Photo: Fern/Splash News1 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com2 of 16
- Photo: JE1/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: Whittle / Splash News/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com7 of 16
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: WireImage.com10 of 16
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.11 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/GettyImages.com12 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Adam Orchon/Retna Digital14 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Ratings: NBC's 'Sing-Off' Sinks to Series' Winter LowMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 8:50:21 AM
- Estelle Parsons to appear on Broadway in springMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 8:11:36 AM
- Reactions to 71st annual Golden Globe nominationsMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 7:57:53 AM
- Golden Globes Nominations by the NumbersMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 7:47:34 AM
- Conan, Ice Cube, and Kevin Hart Catch a Ride With a Total Stranger (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 7:07:59 AM
- Ratings: NBC's 'Sing-Off' Sinks to Series' Winter Low
Giuliana Rancic had an announcement to make during a Monday morning appearance on The Today Show -- but it wasn't the one she or anyone wanted or expected.
Instead of a happy pregnancy announcement, Rancic, 37, told Ann Curry: "I have early stage breast cancer." The "E! News" host and "Giuliana and Bill" star made the frightening discovery back in August, as she was preparing for her third attempt to get pregnant through in vitro fertilization.
Rancic explained that her doctor sternly insisted that she get a mammogram before going through with the third IVF treatment. (The pregnancy hormones could "accelerate the cancer," Rancic recalled her doctor as saying.)
The star, who said she has no family history of breast cancer, "wasn't prepared to get a mammogram until i was 40 years old," she admitted. "I never in my wildest dreams expected anything to be wrong."
When the hospital called a few days later to tell her the shocking news, Rancic admits she was immediately "sobbing ... It was like the world just crashed around me."
But a visibly emotional Rancic assured fans, "I will be OK, because I found it early. I'm doing surgery this coming week, and then I go to radiation for six and a half weeks."
At her side throughout the ordeal is husband Bill Rancic, 40. "Bill is unbelievable," Rancic gushed. "He lets me cry when I want to cry. He just lets me feel what I want to feel."
And the spouses of four years are determined to continue in their attempts to conceive once Giuliana's medical issues are resolved. "I'm not gonna give up," she said. When she does get pregnant, "That baby will have saved my life," she mused. "There's some master plan. Now I know that [God] was looking out for me."
She urged all women to get tested for breast cancer. "I think a lot of us think we're invincible," she said. "We have to start putting ourselves on the to do list."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Kourtney Kardashian hits up the happiest place on Earth on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBabies of 2013
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite