Giuliana Rancic: I Have Breast Cancer at 37
- Photo: Fern/Splash News1 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com2 of 16
- Photo: JE1/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: Whittle / Splash News/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com7 of 16
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: WireImage.com10 of 16
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.11 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/GettyImages.com12 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Adam Orchon/Retna Digital14 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon BernthalMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Nicole Holofcener to Write, Direct 'Land of Steady Habits' for Fox SearchlightMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:29:00 PM
- James Foley Death: Pentagon Reveals Mission to Rescue US Hostages in Syria FailedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Eva Green Steals This Juvenile Film NoirMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Legendary Digital's Zombie Movie 'Dead Rising' Lures 'LeprechaunMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 3:49:00 PM
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon Bernthal
Giuliana Rancic had an announcement to make during a Monday morning appearance on The Today Show -- but it wasn't the one she or anyone wanted or expected.
Instead of a happy pregnancy announcement, Rancic, 37, told Ann Curry: "I have early stage breast cancer." The "E! News" host and "Giuliana and Bill" star made the frightening discovery back in August, as she was preparing for her third attempt to get pregnant through in vitro fertilization.
Rancic explained that her doctor sternly insisted that she get a mammogram before going through with the third IVF treatment. (The pregnancy hormones could "accelerate the cancer," Rancic recalled her doctor as saying.)
The star, who said she has no family history of breast cancer, "wasn't prepared to get a mammogram until i was 40 years old," she admitted. "I never in my wildest dreams expected anything to be wrong."
When the hospital called a few days later to tell her the shocking news, Rancic admits she was immediately "sobbing ... It was like the world just crashed around me."
But a visibly emotional Rancic assured fans, "I will be OK, because I found it early. I'm doing surgery this coming week, and then I go to radiation for six and a half weeks."
At her side throughout the ordeal is husband Bill Rancic, 40. "Bill is unbelievable," Rancic gushed. "He lets me cry when I want to cry. He just lets me feel what I want to feel."
And the spouses of four years are determined to continue in their attempts to conceive once Giuliana's medical issues are resolved. "I'm not gonna give up," she said. When she does get pregnant, "That baby will have saved my life," she mused. "There's some master plan. Now I know that [God] was looking out for me."
She urged all women to get tested for breast cancer. "I think a lot of us think we're invincible," she said. "We have to start putting ourselves on the to do list."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Carmen Electra, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite