- Photo: MICHAEL SIMON/StarTraks1 of 22
- Photo: Getty Images North America2 of 22
- Photo: USMagazine3 of 22
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News4 of 22
- Photo: VM/Fame Flynet5 of 22
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage6 of 22
- Photo: Scott Kirkland/Retna Digital7 of 22
- Photo: Tori Spelling/.8 of 22
- Photo: MICHAEL SIMON/StarTraks9 of 22
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA10 of 22
- Photo: MICHAEL SIMON/StarTraks11 of 22
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/WENN12 of 22
- Photo: MICHAEL SIMON/StarTraks13 of 22
- Photo: Xavier Collin/Retna Ltd.14 of 22
- Photo: WENN15 of 22
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP16 of 22
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA17 of 22
- Photo: Picture Perfect / Rex USA/Rex USA18 of 22
- Photo: MICHAEL SIMON/StarTraks19 of 22
- Photo: MICHAEL SIMON/StarTraks20 of 22
- Photo: RHEA/GSI21 of 22
More Celeb News
- Ventura: Mixed emotions about defamation suit winMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 6:53:17 AM
- Rabe, Wolcott, Bidart among winners of PEN awardsMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 6:06:25 AM
- Watch This Tonight: Sharknado 2MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:49:00 AM
- What's a group selfie? Usie (pronounced uss-ee)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:22:22 AM
- 'Real Housewives of NYC' Reunion: Ramona Singer Thought LuAnn de Lesseps Was a DraMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 10:21:00 PM
- Ventura: Mixed emotions about defamation suit win
By Kat Giantis
Even by the increasingly breakneck pace of the celebrity news cycle, Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott didn't waste any time monetizing their domestic problems. His cheating scandal broke on the cover of Us Weekly in late December. By April, the fallout from the marital crisis was up for public consumption in the form of their reality show, "True Tori."
But now that the first episode has aired, questions are being raised about whether the Lifetime series actually has any basis in reality. Jezebel found inconsistencies that may or may not imply that the cash-needing couple concocted the two-timing tale to score a TV payday.
Among the issues that get a side eye from Jezebel: the wonky timeline (Spelling says on the show that McDermott has been in treatment since the story broke in December, but he apparently didn't enter rehab until late January); the narrative liberties (Tori paints herself struggling alone with their four kids -- Liam, 7, Stella, 5, Hattie, 2, and Finn, 20 months -- while Dean is in rehab, but the family appears to have a trio of nannies on the payroll); and her ongoing relationship with Us Weekly, which originally broke the infidelity story.
"Throughout my life, the tabloids have told every story you could imagine -- and they always got it wrong," Spelling blogged of the show. "I needed the chance to tell my own story."
And yet she gave her first interview about her broken heart to the April 28th issue of Us.
Then there's the question of the other woman -- the improbably named Emily Goodhand. Jezebel notes the 28-year-old Canadian has no social media presence and "mysteriously dropped off the face of the earth" after blabbing to Us about her brief encounters with McDermott at a Toronto hotel.
"He told me he and Tori had a sexless marriage," Goodhand confessed to the magazine in late December. "I believed him."
That tidbit plays well into the storyline of "True Tori," which features this scene:
Dean: "We have four kids, so in the sex department there were ebbs and flows. Is that safe to say?"
Tori: "We had a great relationship, and we had a great sex life."
Dean: "We had sex once every two weeks. It wasn't fantastic."
Spelling tells Us that she doesn't know what Goodhand looks like and doesn't really want to know. "I have written her name in my phone multiple times for Google Images," she says, "and when it comes up, I can't look at it." She's looking away for nothing: A search yields no photos of Goodhand.
In her book "Spelling It Like It Is," Tori revealed how she would think about maximizing interest and ratings while filming their previous series, "Tori & Dean."
"I'm Aaron Spelling's daughter," she explains in the tome. "I knew how to write the story. I knew what would tug on heartstrings."
When asked by Buzzfeed if "True Tori" is a sham, Lifetime said, "No. The show is completely true and not fake." And could Tori have faked it all? "No, she did not."
A source also dismisses the sham rumors to E! News, insisting that Tori and Dean's "drama and problems are definitely real."
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite