Hugh Hefner: The Fight for Gay Marriage Is a Fight for All Our RightsRelated: Hot Gossip, Hugh Hefner
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: AR4/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/AP3 of 9
- Photo: Kristian Dowling/AP4 of 9
- Photo: WENN5 of 9
- Photo: Erik Kabik/Retna Digital6 of 9
- Photo: Erik Kabik/Retna Digital7 of 9
- Photo: RWF/WENN8 of 9
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com9 of 9
By Kat Giantis
There are so many reasons to admire Hugh Hefner, from the way he's provided generations of nubile, busty babes with gainful employment in the pages of Playboy to how he singlehandedly made silk pajamas acceptable work attire. We can now add another to the list: his continued support of equal rights.
"The fight for gay marriage is, in reality, a fight for all of our rights," Hef writes in a piece titled "Sexual Freedom" in the September issue of his men's mag (hey, it really does have articles!). "Without it, we will turn back the sexual revolution and return to an earlier, puritanical time."
He says that "now, in every instance of sexual rights falling under attack, you'll find legislation forced into place by people who practice discrimination disguised as religious freedom. Their goal is to dehumanize everyone's sexuality and reduce us to using sex for the sole purpose of perpetuating our species. To that end, they will criminalize your entire sex life."
According to Hugh, "Conservatives continue to assault the right of gays, whether by denying them the right to marry or, as in Kansas, by attempting to empower landlords, business owners and employers to discriminate against gays on religious grounds."
Hefner, 86, who has been hailed as a "gay rights pioneer" by The Advocate, also cites Arizona's attempt to make birth control coverage contingent on a medical condition, and a Kansas law that allows a pharmacist to refuse the sale of contraception due to his or her religious beliefs.
"This is a religious nation, but it is also a secular one," notes Hefner. "For decades, the American people have found a way to balance religious beliefs with secular freedoms. We have enjoyed freedom of religion and freedom from religion. These need not be incompatible. No one should have to subjugate their religious freedom, and no one should have their personal freedoms infringed. This is America, and we must protect the rights of all Americans."
That includes the naked ones. Amen.
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
- Spike TV's 2013 Guys Choice Awards
- 2013 GLAAD Awards
- 2013 Coachella Hard Rock Lounge
- 2013 MTV Movie Awards
- Kids' Choice Awards 2013
- Elton John's Oscar Viewing Bash
- 2013 Grammy Awards
- 2013 Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party
- 2013 Critics' Choice Movie Awards
- 2012 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 'Breaking Dawn: Part 2' Premiere Red Carpet
- 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Video Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- 'The Dictator' London Premiere
- 2012 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 MTV Video Music Awards
- 2011 MTV Movie Awards
- 2011 Kids' Choice Awards Orange Carpet
- 2011 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Golden Globes NBC After Party Red Carpet
- 2011 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 MTV Video Music Awards White Carpet
- 2010 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- Spike Awards Red Carpet
- MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- Wango Tango Red Carpet
- Hot Tub Time Machine Red Carpet
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Ashley Greene reveals a painful wound from a wild Bali vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite