Hilary Duff, Mike Comrie Tried Counseling Before Split: 'The Spark Was No Longer There'
- Photo: WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Rob Latour/Rex USA2 of 18
- Photo: Fame Flynet3 of 18
- Photo: Ako/Splash News4 of 18
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 18
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com6 of 18
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 18
- Photo: @hilaryduff/Twitter8 of 18
- Photo: @Hilaryduff/Twitter9 of 18
- Photo: @HilaryDuff/Twitter10 of 18
- Photo: @HilaryDuff/Twitter11 of 18
- Photo: WENN12 of 18
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com13 of 18
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News14 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage.com15 of 18
- Photo: CMG/ZOJ/Wonderwall16 of 18
- Photo: Lomeli/Bauer-Griffin17 of 18
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie gave it their best shot, but in the end, the romance between them was just gone. As revealed in the new issue of Us Weekly, the spouses of more than three years took great pains to save their marriage before announcing their split on Friday, Jan. 10.
One source of conflict for the couple? "She felt he didn't put enough effort into the relationship," a source tells Us of the singer-actress, 26, and her former NHL player husband, 33. The pair tried counseling for 18 months, the insider adds, "but recently he wasn't doing any of the things they'd worked on."
In fact, he wasn't doing much at all, a Duff source tells Us. After being forced to retire from hockey because of a career-ending injury in 2012, Comrie's ambition took a nosedive. "He never did anything!" the source says.
Ultimately, the parents of 22-month Luca realized "the spark was no longer there," a third source explains. "They are better as friends."
Close friends, they hope. The couple seem determined to keep their separation amicable and were even spotted brunching with their son in Beverly Hills, Calif., two days after news of their split went public. They were also together on the day of the actual announcement.
"Mike and I are sitting here," Duff tweeted on Jan. 10. "We are so appreciative for all of your kindness & well wishes. Not an easy day but we're getting thru it together."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite