Hilary Duff, Mike Comrie Tried Counseling Before Split: 'The Spark Was No Longer There'
- Photo: WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Rob Latour/Rex USA2 of 18
- Photo: Fame Flynet3 of 18
- Photo: Ako/Splash News4 of 18
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 18
- Photo: Jesse Grant/WireImage.com6 of 18
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 18
- Photo: @hilaryduff/Twitter8 of 18
- Photo: @Hilaryduff/Twitter9 of 18
- Photo: @HilaryDuff/Twitter10 of 18
- Photo: @HilaryDuff/Twitter11 of 18
- Photo: WENN12 of 18
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com13 of 18
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News14 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage.com15 of 18
- Photo: CMG/ZOJ/Wonderwall16 of 18
- Photo: Lomeli/Bauer-Griffin17 of 18
More Celeb News
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWraMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:29:00 PM
- Bill O'Reilly Cuts Vacation Short to Cover Ferguson, Ratings RiseMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:01:00 PM
- Steven Strait, Shohreh Aghdashloo Cast in Syfy Space Opera 'The Expanse'MSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:37:00 PM
- Ferguson's Mike Brown Memorial Campaign Has Raised Less Than Officer Darren Wilson&aposMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:30:00 PM
- Consumer Groups Urge FCC to Reject Comcast/Time Warner Cable DealMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 2:50:00 PM
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWra
Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie gave it their best shot, but in the end, the romance between them was just gone. As revealed in the new issue of Us Weekly, the spouses of more than three years took great pains to save their marriage before announcing their split on Friday, Jan. 10.
One source of conflict for the couple? "She felt he didn't put enough effort into the relationship," a source tells Us of the singer-actress, 26, and her former NHL player husband, 33. The pair tried counseling for 18 months, the insider adds, "but recently he wasn't doing any of the things they'd worked on."
In fact, he wasn't doing much at all, a Duff source tells Us. After being forced to retire from hockey because of a career-ending injury in 2012, Comrie's ambition took a nosedive. "He never did anything!" the source says.
Ultimately, the parents of 22-month Luca realized "the spark was no longer there," a third source explains. "They are better as friends."
Close friends, they hope. The couple seem determined to keep their separation amicable and were even spotted brunching with their son in Beverly Hills, Calif., two days after news of their split went public. They were also together on the day of the actual announcement.
"Mike and I are sitting here," Duff tweeted on Jan. 10. "We are so appreciative for all of your kindness & well wishes. Not an easy day but we're getting thru it together."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Tim Pocock and Tom Green of NBC's "Camp" sit down with Wonderwall's Chris Gardner for a Wonderview ...Watch Video »
Rihanna kicks off her birthday celebrations in a winter wonderland on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Fresh from their split, Hilary Duff vacations with husband Mike Comrie and their son on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
"Hit and Run" co-stars and fiances Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell talk about their Hollywood romance and more with Wonderwall's Rebecca Silverstein.Watch Video »
"Playing for Keeps" star Gerard Butler talks about going shirtless and more with Wonderwall editor Rebecca Silverstein.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite