Howard Stern calls Lena Dunham 'little fat girl'
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet3 of 10
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 10
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: @lenadunham/Instagram7 of 10
- Photo: @lenadunham/Twitter8 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 4:18:23 PM
- Orel Hershiser Joining Dodgers TV Broadcast Team (Report)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:52:05 PM
- 'Metro Manila' Comes Out on Top at British Independent Film AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:46:27 PM
- Susan Boyle Calls Asperger's Diagnosis a ReliefMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 1:35:40 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Felicity Jones Anything But an 'Invisible Woman' as DickMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:40:09 PM
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign
Guess who's laughing all the way to the bank? "Girls" writer and director Lena Dunham didn't let Howard Stern's provoking criticism of her hit HBO show get to her earlier this week -- in fact, she found it funny.
"I did find out that Howard Stern really hates ['Girls'], which I'm a Howard Stern fan, and I believe he's earned the right to free speech and he should go for it," she told David Letterman diplomatically on his show Thursday.
On Monday, the 59-year-old shock jock blasted Dunham and the show, about 20-somethings living in Brooklyn, on his radio show, calling her a "little fat chick" and likening the show's racy sex scenes to "rape."
"It's a little fat girl who kinda looks like Jonah Hill and she keeps taking her clothes off and it kind of feels like rape. She seems -- it's like -- I don't want to see that," Stern chuckled on-air, explaining how he'd recently been clued into the show by wife Beth Ostronsky. "I learned that this little fat chick writes the show and directs the show and that makes sense to me because she's such a camera hog that the other characters barely are on."
"My opinion, if I was a producer on that, I'd say, 'Honey, you're a little too close to the project. You need to allow the other characters to breath a little and let us get invested in them,'" he continued, adding the backhanded compliment: "Good for her. It's hard for little fat chicks to get anything going."
Instead of reacting with anger, however, the 26-year-old actress found humor in Stern's observations.
"I wanna get it on my gravestone where he said, 'Congrats to her [Dunham]. It's so hard for little fat chicks to get anything going these days," she told Letterman as the audience erupted in laughter.
The good-natured talk show host piggy-backed on Dunham's joke, quipping, "I think that's the essence of life's struggle, isn't it? Before you go to bed tonight, before your head hits the pillow, please consider little fat chicks and how hard it is to get things going."
The second season of "Girls" returns to HBO on Sunday, Jan. 13.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Malin Akerman, Courtney Love, and Florence Welch all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTeenage Dream
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite