Howard Stern calls Lena Dunham 'little fat girl'
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet3 of 10
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 10
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: @lenadunham/Instagram7 of 10
- Photo: @lenadunham/Twitter8 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novelMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:50:09 AM
- Jackie Chan expressed shame over son's drug arrestMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:42:39 AM
- Turner Plans Organizational Restructuring in Next Two MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 9:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Premiere to Feature Live 3D Red Carpet BroadcastMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 8:40:00 PM
- NFL's Super Bowl Halftime Show to Katy Perry, Rihanna and Coldplay: Show Me the Money!MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 7:25:00 PM
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novel
Guess who's laughing all the way to the bank? "Girls" writer and director Lena Dunham didn't let Howard Stern's provoking criticism of her hit HBO show get to her earlier this week -- in fact, she found it funny.
"I did find out that Howard Stern really hates ['Girls'], which I'm a Howard Stern fan, and I believe he's earned the right to free speech and he should go for it," she told David Letterman diplomatically on his show Thursday.
On Monday, the 59-year-old shock jock blasted Dunham and the show, about 20-somethings living in Brooklyn, on his radio show, calling her a "little fat chick" and likening the show's racy sex scenes to "rape."
"It's a little fat girl who kinda looks like Jonah Hill and she keeps taking her clothes off and it kind of feels like rape. She seems -- it's like -- I don't want to see that," Stern chuckled on-air, explaining how he'd recently been clued into the show by wife Beth Ostronsky. "I learned that this little fat chick writes the show and directs the show and that makes sense to me because she's such a camera hog that the other characters barely are on."
"My opinion, if I was a producer on that, I'd say, 'Honey, you're a little too close to the project. You need to allow the other characters to breath a little and let us get invested in them,'" he continued, adding the backhanded compliment: "Good for her. It's hard for little fat chicks to get anything going."
Instead of reacting with anger, however, the 26-year-old actress found humor in Stern's observations.
"I wanna get it on my gravestone where he said, 'Congrats to her [Dunham]. It's so hard for little fat chicks to get anything going these days," she told Letterman as the audience erupted in laughter.
The good-natured talk show host piggy-backed on Dunham's joke, quipping, "I think that's the essence of life's struggle, isn't it? Before you go to bed tonight, before your head hits the pillow, please consider little fat chicks and how hard it is to get things going."
The second season of "Girls" returns to HBO on Sunday, Jan. 13.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite