- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP2 of 10
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet3 of 10
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 10
- Photo: Todd Williamson/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/AP6 of 10
- Photo: @lenadunham/Instagram7 of 10
- Photo: @lenadunham/Twitter8 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducteesMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 4:24:15 PM
- Why 'The Great Gatsby' Reveals A Huge Divide Between Hollywood And Its Fans (VideoMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 4:15:45 PM
- Oscar Winner Ari Sandel to Direct 'The DUFF' for CBS Films (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:55:03 PM
- Justin Bieber Spanked Over Monkey Lodging FeesMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:32:00 PM
- '21 Jump Street' Villain Rob Riggle Joins Fox Comedy 'Let's Be CMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:20:36 PM
- 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees
Guess who's laughing all the way to the bank? "Girls" writer and director Lena Dunham didn't let Howard Stern's provoking criticism of her hit HBO show get to her earlier this week -- in fact, she found it funny.
"I did find out that Howard Stern really hates ['Girls'], which I'm a Howard Stern fan, and I believe he's earned the right to free speech and he should go for it," she told David Letterman diplomatically on his show Thursday.
On Monday, the 59-year-old shock jock blasted Dunham and the show, about 20-somethings living in Brooklyn, on his radio show, calling her a "little fat chick" and likening the show's racy sex scenes to "rape."
"It's a little fat girl who kinda looks like Jonah Hill and she keeps taking her clothes off and it kind of feels like rape. She seems -- it's like -- I don't want to see that," Stern chuckled on-air, explaining how he'd recently been clued into the show by wife Beth Ostronsky. "I learned that this little fat chick writes the show and directs the show and that makes sense to me because she's such a camera hog that the other characters barely are on."
"My opinion, if I was a producer on that, I'd say, 'Honey, you're a little too close to the project. You need to allow the other characters to breath a little and let us get invested in them,'" he continued, adding the backhanded compliment: "Good for her. It's hard for little fat chicks to get anything going."
Instead of reacting with anger, however, the 26-year-old actress found humor in Stern's observations.
"I wanna get it on my gravestone where he said, 'Congrats to her [Dunham]. It's so hard for little fat chicks to get anything going these days," she told Letterman as the audience erupted in laughter.
The good-natured talk show host piggy-backed on Dunham's joke, quipping, "I think that's the essence of life's struggle, isn't it? Before you go to bed tonight, before your head hits the pillow, please consider little fat chicks and how hard it is to get things going."
The second season of "Girls" returns to HBO on Sunday, Jan. 13.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite