Is Britney Spears Headed for Another Public Meltdown?
- Photo: Arnold Wells/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Dennis Van Tine/Retna Ltd.2 of 16
- Photo: Michael Carpenter/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Michael Carpenter/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com5 of 16
- Photo: @ddlovato/Twitter6 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: AP/Bauer-Griffin9 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Hasbro/.11 of 16
- Photo: Twitter/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Kane/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Wire Image/Twitter14 of 16
- Photo: MLS/Zillow/.15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its VideosMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:42:00 PM
- TV Presidents Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis Dreyfus Tangle With 'Fargo's' BilMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:40:00 PM
- NBC's 'Aquarius' Books 'The Originals' Alum Claire HoltMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Will Be Darker and 'a Lot Less PatiMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:12:00 PM
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WMEMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its Videos
Can Britney Spears handle the pressure of live TV?
As one of two new judges on "The X Factor," the pop icon, 30, is off to a rocky start. "Doing 'X Factor' may lead her back into meltdown territory," a source recently told Us Weekly. "She gets extremely nervous and anxious. She's hard on herself and not very confident."
Even positive developments like her engagement to Jason Trawick, 40, can send her over the edge. "For her, it's all an input as stress," the source explains. "This is a lot of change at once for Britney. She's coming undone."
To her credit, Spears -- who has sold more than 100 million records worldwide -- has slowly rebuilt her career since her 10-day stay in the UCLA Medical Center psychiatric ward in early 2008. Her two post-crisis albums, 2008's "Circus" and 2011's "Femme Fatale," went platinum, and she spent seven months on tour promoting the latter.
"Jason and Britney's family wouldn't let her do 'X Factor' if she couldn't handle it," an insider countered. "At first they weren't going to let her because she couldn't do live TV -- they didn't know what she would say. But they went over it with Britney, and they trust her."
"X Factor" creator and fellow judge Simon Cowell, 52, isn't worried about Spears' unpredictability. "The network is using Christina Aguilera on 'The Voice' as an argument for her," an industry insider told Us. "They're saying the show needs a bankable pop star who will get viewers watching, whether they think she's ridiculous or they love her. It's definitely about tapping into Spears' fan base."
Despite her nerves, Spears "wants to do a good job," a source insists. "There is always apprehension about something you haven't done before, but she's looking forward to proving all the doubters wrong."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Is Britney Spears Headed for Another Public Meltdown?
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite