Is Britney Spears Headed for Another Public Meltdown?
- Photo: Arnold Wells/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Dennis Van Tine/Retna Ltd.2 of 16
- Photo: Michael Carpenter/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Michael Carpenter/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com5 of 16
- Photo: @ddlovato/Twitter6 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: AP/Bauer-Griffin9 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Hasbro/.11 of 16
- Photo: Twitter/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Kane/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Wire Image/Twitter14 of 16
- Photo: MLS/Zillow/.15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Box Office: Guardians of the Galaxy Wins Labor Day WeekendMSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 4:35:00 PM
- Nude Photos of Jennifer Lawrence, More Celebs Leaked After Massive Phone HackMSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Simon Cowell, Cheryl Cole Returns Deliver 'X Factor UK' Ratings BumpMSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 4:05:00 PM
- Joan Rivers' Daughter Melissa Releases New Statement, Celebs Tweet SupportMSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 3:41:00 PM
- Taylor Swift Joining NBC's 'The Voice' as Guest Mentor (Report)MSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 3:12:00 PM
- Box Office: Guardians of the Galaxy Wins Labor Day Weekend
Can Britney Spears handle the pressure of live TV?
As one of two new judges on "The X Factor," the pop icon, 30, is off to a rocky start. "Doing 'X Factor' may lead her back into meltdown territory," a source recently told Us Weekly. "She gets extremely nervous and anxious. She's hard on herself and not very confident."
Even positive developments like her engagement to Jason Trawick, 40, can send her over the edge. "For her, it's all an input as stress," the source explains. "This is a lot of change at once for Britney. She's coming undone."
To her credit, Spears -- who has sold more than 100 million records worldwide -- has slowly rebuilt her career since her 10-day stay in the UCLA Medical Center psychiatric ward in early 2008. Her two post-crisis albums, 2008's "Circus" and 2011's "Femme Fatale," went platinum, and she spent seven months on tour promoting the latter.
"Jason and Britney's family wouldn't let her do 'X Factor' if she couldn't handle it," an insider countered. "At first they weren't going to let her because she couldn't do live TV -- they didn't know what she would say. But they went over it with Britney, and they trust her."
"X Factor" creator and fellow judge Simon Cowell, 52, isn't worried about Spears' unpredictability. "The network is using Christina Aguilera on 'The Voice' as an argument for her," an industry insider told Us. "They're saying the show needs a bankable pop star who will get viewers watching, whether they think she's ridiculous or they love her. It's definitely about tapping into Spears' fan base."
Despite her nerves, Spears "wants to do a good job," a source insists. "There is always apprehension about something you haven't done before, but she's looking forward to proving all the doubters wrong."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Is Britney Spears Headed for Another Public Meltdown?
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
See where Hollywood's A-listers have spent the summer.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Ashlee's new fiance on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite