"Everything's real," Courteney Cox says of "Cougar Town" characterRelated: Courteney Cox
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com1 of 9
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.2 of 9
- Photo: Splash News3 of 9
- Photo: Jason Merritt/GettyImages.com4 of 9
- Photo: Albert Michael / Startraksphoto/.5 of 9
- Photo: Tammie Arroyo/AFF/Retna Ltd.6 of 9
- Photo: Splash News7 of 9
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/ Splash News/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Mike Darnell Talks Fox Exit, 'American Idol,' Whether 'X Factor'MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:46:42 PM
- 3 Reasons Lena Dunham Can't Laugh Off 'Girls' Porn ParodyMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:35:33 PM
- YouTube's Most Popular Rappers Are White and Nerdy - and Bigger Than Bieber, PSYMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:00:39 PM
- 'The East' Filmmakers Go From Dumpster-Diving to Sundance Darlings ... and Get a TMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 3:43:13 PM
- WME Signs Departing Fox Exec Mike Darnell (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 2:11:54 PM
- Mike Darnell Talks Fox Exit, 'American Idol,' Whether 'X Factor'
Courteney Cox returns to comedy in "Cougar Town," a new series about a 40-something woman trying to get on with her life following an ugly divorce. In the first episode, her character, Jules, hooks up with a guy not much older than her 17-year-old son.
"What I love about this character is everything's real," says Courteney, whose real-life husband, David Arquette, is seven years her junior. "It would be really scary if I wasn't married and I had to go back out there again. It is true most men date women that are younger. It's a hard world, and I think that they deal with it beautifully [on the series]."
Happily for Courteney, she and David have been married for a decade, so she is not out there trying to find Mr. Right. He is right at home. And as for being a real-life cougar ,she says, "We have been married 10 years so [the gap is not so great], because our history has grown together, but there is a gap. There are things I know about that he doesn't remember. But David is such an old soul, so it is not a big deal. Besides, he likes older women."
As for comparisons between Jules and Monica, her character on "Friends," she says, "Monica is much more neurotic and uptight. Jules is kookier."
"Cougar Town" opens with Jules just out of the shower examining her body, checking out her arm flab and the skin on her tummy.
"That is me," she admits, "and I've been doing that forever. David is always saying to me, 'Courteney, please put your shirt down, and stop showing everybody your belly.' For some reason, once I had a kid, I was fascinated by that whole thing. So I do do that, and I do have that skin. People don't look the way they do on TV in real life."
The "Cougar Town" cast also includes Christa Miller as Elle, Busy Philipps as Laurie, Dan Byrd as Travis, Brian Van Holt as Bobby, Josh Hopkins as Grayson and Ian Gomez as Andy.
"Cougar Town" premieres Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 9:30 p.m. on ABC.
More on Wonderwall:
- Chief BeefKaty Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Fashion BluesKourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Fights & FeudsGet the scoop on some of the most recent Hollywood feuds on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Svelte BodKhloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Last TripGet the scoop on Kim’s final pre-baby Parisian getaway on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite