James Lipton opens up about being a pimp in Paris: 'It was a great year'
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA1 of 4
- Photo: Greg Allen/Rex USA2 of 4
- Photo: Greg Allen / Rex USA/Rex USA3 of 4
More Celeb News
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UKMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:34:00 PM
- Fox Reorganizes Development and Programming DepartmentsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Dan Harmon and Mitch Hurwitz Are Working on a Super-Secret ProjectMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Sean Combs Bids Reported $200 Million for Fuse TV NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:12:00 PM
- Psych's James Roday to Star in CBS Relationship Comedy PilotMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:07:00 PM
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UK
James Lipton has had a lot of jobs over the years: writer, composer, actor, producer, teacher, and (most famously) host of the Bravo series "Inside the Actors Studio." One line on his resume that doesn't get mentioned very often? Pimp.
In a new interview with Parade magazine, Lipton, 86, opens up about his time working on the prostitution scene in Paris in the 1950s. Speaking about that period of his life, he says he was simply doing what he had to do to make ends meet.
"It was only a few years after the war. Paris was different then, still poor," he explains. "Men couldn't get jobs and, in the male chauvinist Paris of that time, the women couldn't get any work at all. It was perfectly respectable for them to go into le milieu."
Indeed, the "Arrested Development" actor insists it wasn't a seedy situation. "[The women] were beautiful and young and extraordinary," he tells Parade, adding that they were "inspected medically" every week.
One of these women, in fact, befriended Lipton and helped him break into the business. "When I ran out of money, I said, 'I have to go home.' She said, 'No, you don't. I'll arrange it for you.' So she arranged for me to do it," he explains of how he became a pimp. "I had to be OK'd by the underworld; otherwise they would've found me floating in the Seine."
Lipton says he ran a very successful bordello and made enough money to live on for a year. "I did a roaring business," he boasts. "That's how I lived. I was going through my rites of passage, no question about it. It was a great year of my life."
That said, he doesn't endorse paying for sex. As he tells Parade, "I think if you can't earn it on your own, then you don't deserve it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Oscar nominee Lupita Nyong’o shares her awards season journey (and meetings with Oprah, Sidney Poitier and the Dalai Lama!) on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Drunk In Love
Jessica Simpon, Gisele Bundchen and more celebs share intimate pics of their partners on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
From Crowd Ignite