Jennifer Hudson Talks Weight Loss, 'Shocking' Family Tragedy to Oprah
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Splash News1 of 6
- Photo: Arista/Promotional2 of 6
- Photo: PN2/http://www.wenn.com/3 of 6
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com4 of 6
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com5 of 6
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
An emotional Jennifer Hudson spoke out on the "Oprah Winfrey" show Thursday about the family tragedy that took her mother, brother and nephew, telling Oprah, "It's such a shocking thing and it's a lot to take in."
Jennifer's family members were tragically murdered in Chicago on Oct. 24, 2008. William Balfour, the estranged husband of Jennifer's sister Julia, was indicted for the murders.
"It's a very emotional subject," said the singer, but she credited "my baby and God" in helping her get through the pain, "and holding onto the things that they taught us."
On being a new mom to nearly 2-year-old David -- whose dad is Hudson's fiancé, David Otunga -- Jennifer shared, "This is a whole new chapter, a whole new world."
Looking svelte and healthy, Jennifer also shared her Weight Watchers weight-loss victory story, saying, "It's like a brand-new me. Sometimes I don't even recognize myself ... I feel so empowered."
RELATED: Best Celeb Transformations
Pressed by Oprah to reveal how much weight she's lost, Jennifer deflected, "I don't really like to count the pounds. I look at it like age, honey -- I feel like I got 10 years of my life back." The Grammy winner later revealed that she's lost 80 pounds. She used to wear a size 16 dress, and now she wears a size 6.
"It takes a while to adjust to it mentally," she said. As for her fiancé's reaction, Jennifer said, "He has to get adjusted to it just the same as I do," but he said she looks "beautiful."
Jennifer also performed "Where You At," the first single from her upcoming album, "I Remember Me," which drops March 22.
Related stories on ETonline.com: Will Leonard Become a Gigolo for Science on 'The Big Bang Theory'?
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBen vs. Casey
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite