Jenny McCarthy: Jim Carrey Turned His Back on My Autistic Son
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com1 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP2 of 13
- Photo: Sam Sharma/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 13
- Photo: Andrade, Thompsett/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 13
- Photo: WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News6 of 13
- Photo: Richard Beetham/Splash News7 of 13
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks8 of 13
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/StarTraks9 of 13
- Photo: Denise Truscello/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Twitter/.11 of 13
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Mark Ruffalo Tweets Pics From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set (Photos)MSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:39:00 AM
- Ratings: 'The Voice' Hits Low, But Still Tops Night for NBCMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:28:00 AM
- Chris Christie Won't Miss David Letterman's 'Fat Jokes,' Can&MSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:05:00 AM
- Grey's Anatomy Exclusive First Look: Grey Sloan Inundated After Possible Terrorist AttackMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:00:00 AM
- HBO Co-Producing J.K. Rowling's 'The Casual Vacancy' Miniseries With BBCMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:00:00 AM
- Mark Ruffalo Tweets Pics From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set (Photos)
Jenny McCarthy couldn't help but get emotional during her Monday Howard Stern interview when the host asked after her ex, Jim Carrey.
McCarthy, who dated the 50-year-old comedian for more than five years, says Carrey -- who has spoken publicly before about his lifelong struggle with depression -- has completely turned his back on McCarthy's autistic son Evan, 10, following their 2010 split.
"I've tried to ask [Jim] numerous times [to see Evan], because my son still asks," the Love in the Wild host, 39, told Stern, adding that Evan tells her he misses Carrey "almost weekly."
McCarthy revealed that, while she doesn't feel like she can communicate with Carrey herself, she's gone through "channels" in an attempt to convince the actor to talk to her son.
"I haven't [reached out directly] . . . I think that sometimes people need to take a real break from each other," she explained. "But I still love him. I think you can love people from a distance and respect him. But as a mother, you just hope when you have a relationship with someone, it has nothing to do with the child when you break up."
Added the former Playboy model (who also revealed she lets Evan watch her ex's films), "I tell [Evan] that someday you'll cross paths, meet again. . . [but] it's hard. He's been in therapy. It's a process, he's working on it."
Even though she hates the impact her breakup has had on her child, McCarthy says she still doesn't regret her and Carrey's decision to part ways.
"Jim's a dark guy," Stern remarked during their discussion.
"As you get older, Howard, you kind of get to see things more clearly," McCarthy explained about moving on from her ex-love. "Hopefully you get happier [over time], and I am so much happier."
Contributing to McCarthy's happiness? Her new relationship with Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher.
Her rep confirmed to E! News recently that the model and NFL player are indeed a couple. McCarthy and Urlacher, who have been dating quietly since April, made their public debut together during a date night last month at Giuliana and Bill Rancic's Chicago eatery, RPM Italian.
Later that week, McCarthy played coy when asked about her new man at an autism charity event.
"I can confirm that yes it's true, we are dating," she told reporters on the red carpet. "Go Bears, that's all I can say!"
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Jenny McCarthy: Jim Carrey Turned His Back on My Autistic Son
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Watch as Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie Alley talk about their tumble during their routine.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBaby Girl!
From Crowd Ignite