Jilted Groom Hugh Hefner On Why Runaway Bride Crystal Harris Left Him
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: RWF/WENN2 of 18
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN3 of 18
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN4 of 18
- Photo: Rob Latour/Splash News5 of 18
- Photo: Walik Goshorn/Retna Ltd.6 of 18
- Photo: WENN/WireImage7 of 18
- Photo: AR4/WENN8 of 18
- Photo: AR4/WENN9 of 18
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com10 of 18
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP11 of 18
- Photo: Erik Kabik/Retna Digital12 of 18
- Photo: Erik Kabik/Retna Ltd.13 of 18
- Photo: Erik Kabik/Retna Ltd.14 of 18
- Photo: Can Nguyen/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.15 of 18
- Photo: Judy Edd/WENN16 of 18
- Photo: AR4/WENN17 of 18
More Celeb News
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 4:18:23 PM
- Orel Hershiser Joining Dodgers TV Broadcast Team (Report)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:52:05 PM
- 'Metro Manila' Comes Out on Top at British Independent Film AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:46:27 PM
- Susan Boyle Calls Asperger's Diagnosis a ReliefMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 1:35:40 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Felicity Jones Anything But an 'Invisible Woman' as DickMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:40:09 PM
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign
ET's Chris Jacobs sat down with Hugh Hefner inside the library of the famed Playboy Mansion for an intimate fireside chat about his runaway bride, Crystal Harris. What made her "skip" off the bunny property before her wedding to the publishing tycoon?
Hef sees the situation a lot more clearly "in hindsight," admitting that their vast age difference was probably a contributing factor, though he expects more truth to unravel as time goes on. He questions himself: "What was I really thinking?" When lawyers started getting involved to discuss a prenuptial agreement, "things started to get sour." By calling the wedding off, Hef wholeheartedly believes he "missed a bullet" over an inevitable split.
Taken aback by her sudden departure, Hef considered them to have a "very happy relationship" and he "wanted to give her continuity." Denying he was rushing Crystal down the aisle, Hef maintains that the "relationship not the marriage" was his priority. He believes in their two-year-plus year courtship, his bride was "fascinated" by the Playboy lifestyle and "created the illusion that she was over the moon happy."
When Crystal abruptly left while Hef and some girls were enjoying their traditional Sunday movie night, she did not leave empty handed. Besides the sparkler on her finger, the security tapes show "she made a point to get both cars off the property." During their time together, Hef gave her a Bentley and another luxury vehicle.
The betrayed groom-to-be doesn't plan to take the plunge again into marriage. "I think my natural state is single," he confided. "The only times I've been monogamous were the two times I was married."
All the while, he does admit that he was with girlfriend Anna Sophia Berglund while with Crystal. Had Crystal become his wife, he would have addressed the issue with her on whether he'd continue his relationship with Anna. As long as there is honesty about additional relationships, he is OK with his girlfriends seeing other guys. "The immorality of infidelity is the line," he defined.
"My life is an open book with illustrations, no mysteries, and widely published," he analogized. This is just another chapter to be shelved in the quaint, voluminous archives of the legendary Playboy empire.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
MORE FROM ET:
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHilton Bust-Up
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite