Jim Parsons: Quiet coming out was 'really kind of rewarding'
- Photo: Retna Digital/.1 of 11
- Photo: @shemarfmoore/Instagram2 of 11
- Photo: Frank Micelotta/Invision for Academy of Television Arts & Sciences/Invision/AP3 of 11
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP4 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA6 of 11
- Photo: Rex USA7 of 11
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP8 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Lena Dunham Says She May Quit Acting After Girls EndsMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 2:02:00 PM
- Game of Thrones Star Kristian Nairn Comes Out as GayMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 2:01:00 PM
- What Happened When the Cameras Went Off? Bachelor's Chris Harrison Spills on the Tense FinaMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 1:47:00 PM
- Jon Klein on His New Online Venture: 'We've Created the Company That I Feared WoulMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:41:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones' Star Kristian Nairn Comes Out: 'I've Been WaitMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:31:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Says She May Quit Acting After Girls Ends
Jim Parsons is having a big year -- maybe his biggest year. Back in September, the "Big Bang Theory" actor beat out Don Cheadle, Louis C.K., Alec Baldwin, Jason Bateman, and Matt LeBlanc for the Best Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy (his third) which was followed one month later by the GLESN Inspiration Award. Now, he's one of four cover stars for Out magazine's annual Out100 issue, in which he's named Entertainer of the Year.
"I was very conscious in 2013 to try to enjoy every month, every week at a time, as much as I could," the 40-year-old TV star tells the mag of his busy year. (In addition to "The Big Bang Theory," he filmed the Ryan Murphy-directed "The Normal Heart" for HBO.)
Parsons, whose sexuality was casually revealed in a New York Times profile last year, has been very protective of his private life, which includes a decade-long relationship with partner Todd Spiewak. There was some minor chatter when the Times profile first came out, but for the most part, he and Spiewak have been able to fly under the radar.
"I didn't think it was still that much hoopla, and that was really kind of rewarding," he tells Out of coming out. "That's progress -- progress that I'm really happy to be a part of, making what was extraordinary ordinary without being boring, for God's sake."
Indeed, the CBS star told Us Weekly in October that he and his partner -- whom he called his "favorite person on the planet" at the Emmys -- live relatively normal lives. "We feel very average, we feel very normal. We really do," he told Us. "The strange stuff is the Hollywood stuff we have to walk through, not the gay stuff we have to walk through."
"I've never considered myself an activist," he continued. "I've never considered my relationship with Todd to be an act of activism. Rather simply, it's an act of love, coffee in the morning, going to work, washing the clothes, taking the dogs [out] -- a regular life, boring love."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of Duchess Kate's most budget-friendly fashion items.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite