Jim Parsons: Quiet coming out was 'really kind of rewarding'
- Photo: Retna Digital/.1 of 11
- Photo: @shemarfmoore/Instagram2 of 11
- Photo: Frank Micelotta/Invision for Academy of Television Arts & Sciences/Invision/AP3 of 11
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP4 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA6 of 11
- Photo: Rex USA7 of 11
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP8 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Mia Hansen-Love's EDM Movie 'Eden' Lands U.S. DistributionMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 10:56:00 AM
- Chelsea Handler's Dog Is a Lion King in Teaser for Netflix Comedy Special (Photo)MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:43:00 AM
- Aaron Paul Joins Jamie Dornan in Miramax's 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax'MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:32:00 AM
- Ratings: Gotham Cops Good Numbers — See How Scorpion and Forever DidMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:26:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 12:09 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:09:53 AM
- Mia Hansen-Love's EDM Movie 'Eden' Lands U.S. Distribution
Jim Parsons is having a big year -- maybe his biggest year. Back in September, the "Big Bang Theory" actor beat out Don Cheadle, Louis C.K., Alec Baldwin, Jason Bateman, and Matt LeBlanc for the Best Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy (his third) which was followed one month later by the GLESN Inspiration Award. Now, he's one of four cover stars for Out magazine's annual Out100 issue, in which he's named Entertainer of the Year.
"I was very conscious in 2013 to try to enjoy every month, every week at a time, as much as I could," the 40-year-old TV star tells the mag of his busy year. (In addition to "The Big Bang Theory," he filmed the Ryan Murphy-directed "The Normal Heart" for HBO.)
Parsons, whose sexuality was casually revealed in a New York Times profile last year, has been very protective of his private life, which includes a decade-long relationship with partner Todd Spiewak. There was some minor chatter when the Times profile first came out, but for the most part, he and Spiewak have been able to fly under the radar.
"I didn't think it was still that much hoopla, and that was really kind of rewarding," he tells Out of coming out. "That's progress -- progress that I'm really happy to be a part of, making what was extraordinary ordinary without being boring, for God's sake."
Indeed, the CBS star told Us Weekly in October that he and his partner -- whom he called his "favorite person on the planet" at the Emmys -- live relatively normal lives. "We feel very average, we feel very normal. We really do," he told Us. "The strange stuff is the Hollywood stuff we have to walk through, not the gay stuff we have to walk through."
"I've never considered myself an activist," he continued. "I've never considered my relationship with Todd to be an act of activism. Rather simply, it's an act of love, coffee in the morning, going to work, washing the clothes, taking the dogs [out] -- a regular life, boring love."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Sexy TV Stars
From Sofia Vergara to Justin Theroux, check out the rest of TV's hottest stars.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTInspiring Hubby!
From Crowd Ignite