Joan Rivers calls Adele 'chubby,' says the singer should 'lose weight'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Desiree Navarro/WireImage.com2 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/Starpix/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.5 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Dave Hogan/Getty Images North America8 of 10
- Photo: Dmac/Rocstar/Miguel/Fame Flynet9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'November Man' and 'As Above' Are No Match for 'GuardiaMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 8:35:00 AM
- Gabrielle Union and Dwayne Wade Before the Wedding MSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 8:09:00 AM
- Wrestler Jake "The Snake" Roberts HospitalizedMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 7:41:00 AM
- Venice Reviews: Al Pacino Achieves Late-Career Greatness in 'Manglehorn'; BogdanovMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:04:00 AM
- Labor Day Viewing Guide: What to Binge-Watch This Weekend If You're Not Hanging Out With thMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 10:58:00 PM
- 'November Man' and 'As Above' Are No Match for 'Guardia
Joan Rivers has no intention of easing on up Adele, whom she cruelly mocked during a Feb. 26 appearance on "The Late Show With David Letterman." During the episode, the 79-year-old comedienne said she met the 24-year-old singer at the Academy Awards. She then made a gesture with her arms in reference to the new mom's weight.
"She was very scared because she was singing at the awards. She kept saying, 'My throat, my throat -- I don't know if I can swallow,'" Rivers said on the talk show. "And I said, 'Oh, yeah! You can swallow."
Rivers was asked to defend her Late Show comments during a March 29 HuffPost Live interview, but instead, she continued to criticize the British songbird's appearance.
"It's not mean. She's a chubby lady who's very, very rich, and she should just calm down -- or lose weight! She wanted an apology, so I took an ad out on her ass. I said, 'You are not fat.' And then I had room for a lot of other ads," Rivers quipped. "Adele is beautiful and successful and has what, $100 million? Let's face reality: she's fat!"
This isn't the first time Rivers has publicly commented on another celebrity's weight. In a now-famous 1985 interview with Oprah Winfrey, the Fashion Police host called out the media mogul for gaining 50 pounds. "You shouldn't let that happen to you," she told Winfrey, now 59. "You're a pretty girl and you're single. You must lose the weight!
Rivers also targeted Christina Aguilera after the singer forgot the lyrics to the National Anthem during the Super Bowl in 2011. "She looked like a pig. How stupid can you get?" the I Hate Everyone, Starting With Me author asked. "Christina must have been thinking about food. That's why she forgot the words."
Even after Aguilera, 32, confronted Rivers, the comic made fun of the former Voice mentor's figure. "I'm at Spago's with [my daughter] Melissa, and we're eating dinner," Rivers recalled during a June 2012 interview on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, "and Fatso is across the way, and she comes lumbering over with that no-neck look. And I go, 'Here it comes.' She comes over to my table and says, 'You gonna finish that?'"
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jared Leto, Madonna and Jaime King all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Carmen Electra, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite