Joan Rivers calls Adele 'chubby,' says the singer should 'lose weight'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Desiree Navarro/WireImage.com2 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/Starpix/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.5 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Dave Hogan/Getty Images North America8 of 10
- Photo: Dmac/Rocstar/Miguel/Fame Flynet9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Justin Bieber Apologizes for Visiting Tokyo Shrine Honoring War CriminalsMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 8:00:00 AM
- HBO Shows Are Coming to Amazon PrimeMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 7:40:00 AM
- Who Was Named People's "Most Beautiful" Star? MSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 6:42:00 AM
- Bachelorette Contestant in a Coma After Paragliding AccidentMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 6:42:00 AM
- Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir Join NBC's Kentucky Derby CoverageMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 6:41:00 AM
- Justin Bieber Apologizes for Visiting Tokyo Shrine Honoring War Criminals
Joan Rivers has no intention of easing on up Adele, whom she cruelly mocked during a Feb. 26 appearance on "The Late Show With David Letterman." During the episode, the 79-year-old comedienne said she met the 24-year-old singer at the Academy Awards. She then made a gesture with her arms in reference to the new mom's weight.
"She was very scared because she was singing at the awards. She kept saying, 'My throat, my throat -- I don't know if I can swallow,'" Rivers said on the talk show. "And I said, 'Oh, yeah! You can swallow."
Rivers was asked to defend her Late Show comments during a March 29 HuffPost Live interview, but instead, she continued to criticize the British songbird's appearance.
"It's not mean. She's a chubby lady who's very, very rich, and she should just calm down -- or lose weight! She wanted an apology, so I took an ad out on her ass. I said, 'You are not fat.' And then I had room for a lot of other ads," Rivers quipped. "Adele is beautiful and successful and has what, $100 million? Let's face reality: she's fat!"
This isn't the first time Rivers has publicly commented on another celebrity's weight. In a now-famous 1985 interview with Oprah Winfrey, the Fashion Police host called out the media mogul for gaining 50 pounds. "You shouldn't let that happen to you," she told Winfrey, now 59. "You're a pretty girl and you're single. You must lose the weight!
Rivers also targeted Christina Aguilera after the singer forgot the lyrics to the National Anthem during the Super Bowl in 2011. "She looked like a pig. How stupid can you get?" the I Hate Everyone, Starting With Me author asked. "Christina must have been thinking about food. That's why she forgot the words."
Even after Aguilera, 32, confronted Rivers, the comic made fun of the former Voice mentor's figure. "I'm at Spago's with [my daughter] Melissa, and we're eating dinner," Rivers recalled during a June 2012 interview on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, "and Fatso is across the way, and she comes lumbering over with that no-neck look. And I go, 'Here it comes.' She comes over to my table and says, 'You gonna finish that?'"
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSneak Peek
From Crowd Ignite