Joan Rivers calls Adele 'chubby,' says the singer should 'lose weight'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Desiree Navarro/WireImage.com2 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/Starpix/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.5 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Dave Hogan/Getty Images North America8 of 10
- Photo: Dmac/Rocstar/Miguel/Fame Flynet9 of 10
More Celeb News
- W. Kamau Bell Laments "The Whiteness of Late Night"MSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Nicki Minaj Welcome at This NY High School, After Alma Mater Rejects HerMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Ashley Judd Has Tough Couple of Weekends at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 2:47:00 PM
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Claims She Was Detained by LAPD, Mistaken for ProstitutMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 2:36:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars' Julianne Hough: "I Might Be Even Harder on Derek"MSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 1:34:00 PM
- W. Kamau Bell Laments "The Whiteness of Late Night"
Joan Rivers has no intention of easing on up Adele, whom she cruelly mocked during a Feb. 26 appearance on "The Late Show With David Letterman." During the episode, the 79-year-old comedienne said she met the 24-year-old singer at the Academy Awards. She then made a gesture with her arms in reference to the new mom's weight.
"She was very scared because she was singing at the awards. She kept saying, 'My throat, my throat -- I don't know if I can swallow,'" Rivers said on the talk show. "And I said, 'Oh, yeah! You can swallow."
Rivers was asked to defend her Late Show comments during a March 29 HuffPost Live interview, but instead, she continued to criticize the British songbird's appearance.
"It's not mean. She's a chubby lady who's very, very rich, and she should just calm down -- or lose weight! She wanted an apology, so I took an ad out on her ass. I said, 'You are not fat.' And then I had room for a lot of other ads," Rivers quipped. "Adele is beautiful and successful and has what, $100 million? Let's face reality: she's fat!"
This isn't the first time Rivers has publicly commented on another celebrity's weight. In a now-famous 1985 interview with Oprah Winfrey, the Fashion Police host called out the media mogul for gaining 50 pounds. "You shouldn't let that happen to you," she told Winfrey, now 59. "You're a pretty girl and you're single. You must lose the weight!
Rivers also targeted Christina Aguilera after the singer forgot the lyrics to the National Anthem during the Super Bowl in 2011. "She looked like a pig. How stupid can you get?" the I Hate Everyone, Starting With Me author asked. "Christina must have been thinking about food. That's why she forgot the words."
Even after Aguilera, 32, confronted Rivers, the comic made fun of the former Voice mentor's figure. "I'm at Spago's with [my daughter] Melissa, and we're eating dinner," Rivers recalled during a June 2012 interview on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, "and Fatso is across the way, and she comes lumbering over with that no-neck look. And I go, 'Here it comes.' She comes over to my table and says, 'You gonna finish that?'"
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'Feeling Great'
From Crowd Ignite