Joel McHale addresses gay rumors: 'I take it as a compliment'
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Joe Kohen/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Mark Davis/GettyImages.com6 of 10
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Ellen Page, 'Same Love' Singer Mary Lambert Top The Advocate's 'MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 12:06:00 PM
- Jackie Chan 'Ashamed,' 'Heartbroken' Over Son's Arrest MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Mark Burnett and Roma Downey's 'Dovekeepers' Casts 'Manhattan&amMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 11:30:00 AM
- Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande and Jessie J to Open MTV VMAsMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:59:00 AM
- 'Top Chef' Season 12 to Premiere in OctoberMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:48:00 AM
- Ellen Page, 'Same Love' Singer Mary Lambert Top The Advocate's '
Joel McHale has been happily married to Sarah Williams since 1996, but that hasn't stopped the "Community" actor from amassing a legion of gay fans. In fact, the father of two says he finds it "flattering" when people assume he's homosexual.
"I always find it really weird when guys flip out over someone thinking they might be gay. If a guy gets offended by that, there's something's wrong with him," McHale tells The Advocate. "I take it as a compliment."
McHale -- who jokes that he has crushes on Brian Williams, Kobe Bryant and Chaz Bono -- says he was often hit on by other men when he was starting out in Hollywood. "Much like in 'Say Anything,' guys usually stand outside my house with a boom box over their head blasting the Indigo Girls," he quips. "Actually, guys sometimes will tweet me, 'I'm in L.A. Staying at such-and-such hotel. What do you think?' Of course, it all depends on the quality of the hotel."
He continues, "Back when I had just moved to L.A., before I was on any show, I was meeting a friend at a bar connected to this restaurant we went to. When I got there, I was the only one in the bar. While I was messing with my phone, I didn't notice the whole bar fill up with men. Guys kept coming up, asking, 'What's going on, man?' I figured they'd seen the commercials I was in. Then I realized that these men were coming on to me because I was alone in a gay bar."
Because "Community" has struggled in the ratings (and was shelved for several months before returning in early 2013), McHale tells The Advocate he's especially grateful to the quirky comedy's many gay viewers. "Community needs all the help it can get, so thank God for our gay fans. Our young gay fans especially are the loudest and most Internet-savvy," the 41-year-old host of "The Soup" explains. "That also speaks to the quality of our show, which I think is highly intelligent."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite