Joel McHale addresses gay rumors: 'I take it as a compliment'
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Joe Kohen/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Mark Davis/GettyImages.com6 of 10
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com9 of 10
More Celeb News
- World Cup: Hollywood Hails Germany, Cries for Argentina on TwitterMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 4:30:00 PM
- NBC's 'Constantine' Casts Mexican-American Star as ZedMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 4:24:00 PM
- Telenovela Star Angelica Celaya Cast as Zed on ConstantineMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:42:00 PM
- 'Real Housewives of NJ's' Dina Manzo on Haters: 'I Don'MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:24:00 PM
- The Mysteries of Laura Promises Drama, Comedy and ... Barf!MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:06:00 PM
- World Cup: Hollywood Hails Germany, Cries for Argentina on Twitter
Joel McHale has been happily married to Sarah Williams since 1996, but that hasn't stopped the "Community" actor from amassing a legion of gay fans. In fact, the father of two says he finds it "flattering" when people assume he's homosexual.
"I always find it really weird when guys flip out over someone thinking they might be gay. If a guy gets offended by that, there's something's wrong with him," McHale tells The Advocate. "I take it as a compliment."
McHale -- who jokes that he has crushes on Brian Williams, Kobe Bryant and Chaz Bono -- says he was often hit on by other men when he was starting out in Hollywood. "Much like in 'Say Anything,' guys usually stand outside my house with a boom box over their head blasting the Indigo Girls," he quips. "Actually, guys sometimes will tweet me, 'I'm in L.A. Staying at such-and-such hotel. What do you think?' Of course, it all depends on the quality of the hotel."
He continues, "Back when I had just moved to L.A., before I was on any show, I was meeting a friend at a bar connected to this restaurant we went to. When I got there, I was the only one in the bar. While I was messing with my phone, I didn't notice the whole bar fill up with men. Guys kept coming up, asking, 'What's going on, man?' I figured they'd seen the commercials I was in. Then I realized that these men were coming on to me because I was alone in a gay bar."
Because "Community" has struggled in the ratings (and was shelved for several months before returning in early 2013), McHale tells The Advocate he's especially grateful to the quirky comedy's many gay viewers. "Community needs all the help it can get, so thank God for our gay fans. Our young gay fans especially are the loudest and most Internet-savvy," the 41-year-old host of "The Soup" explains. "That also speaks to the quality of our show, which I think is highly intelligent."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kesha's New Looks
See how Kesha's looks have changed since Rehab.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez brings the glam while spending time with her fam at Paris Fashion Week on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Reese Witherspoon shares photos of her burgeoning friendship with Sofia Vergara on Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBikini Bods!
From Crowd Ignite