Joel McHale addresses gay rumors: 'I take it as a compliment'
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Joe Kohen/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Mark Davis/GettyImages.com6 of 10
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com9 of 10
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
Joel McHale has been happily married to Sarah Williams since 1996, but that hasn't stopped the "Community" actor from amassing a legion of gay fans. In fact, the father of two says he finds it "flattering" when people assume he's homosexual.
"I always find it really weird when guys flip out over someone thinking they might be gay. If a guy gets offended by that, there's something's wrong with him," McHale tells The Advocate. "I take it as a compliment."
McHale -- who jokes that he has crushes on Brian Williams, Kobe Bryant and Chaz Bono -- says he was often hit on by other men when he was starting out in Hollywood. "Much like in 'Say Anything,' guys usually stand outside my house with a boom box over their head blasting the Indigo Girls," he quips. "Actually, guys sometimes will tweet me, 'I'm in L.A. Staying at such-and-such hotel. What do you think?' Of course, it all depends on the quality of the hotel."
He continues, "Back when I had just moved to L.A., before I was on any show, I was meeting a friend at a bar connected to this restaurant we went to. When I got there, I was the only one in the bar. While I was messing with my phone, I didn't notice the whole bar fill up with men. Guys kept coming up, asking, 'What's going on, man?' I figured they'd seen the commercials I was in. Then I realized that these men were coming on to me because I was alone in a gay bar."
Because "Community" has struggled in the ratings (and was shelved for several months before returning in early 2013), McHale tells The Advocate he's especially grateful to the quirky comedy's many gay viewers. "Community needs all the help it can get, so thank God for our gay fans. Our young gay fans especially are the loudest and most Internet-savvy," the 41-year-old host of "The Soup" explains. "That also speaks to the quality of our show, which I think is highly intelligent."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Justin Timberlake, see some of the hottest stars from the south.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPool Party
From Crowd Ignite