Joel McHale addresses gay rumors: 'I take it as a compliment'
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Joe Kohen/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Mark Davis/GettyImages.com6 of 10
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its VideosMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:42:00 PM
- TV Presidents Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis Dreyfus Tangle With 'Fargo's' BilMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:40:00 PM
- NBC's 'Aquarius' Books 'The Originals' Alum Claire HoltMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Will Be Darker and 'a Lot Less PatiMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:12:00 PM
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WMEMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its Videos
Joel McHale has been happily married to Sarah Williams since 1996, but that hasn't stopped the "Community" actor from amassing a legion of gay fans. In fact, the father of two says he finds it "flattering" when people assume he's homosexual.
"I always find it really weird when guys flip out over someone thinking they might be gay. If a guy gets offended by that, there's something's wrong with him," McHale tells The Advocate. "I take it as a compliment."
McHale -- who jokes that he has crushes on Brian Williams, Kobe Bryant and Chaz Bono -- says he was often hit on by other men when he was starting out in Hollywood. "Much like in 'Say Anything,' guys usually stand outside my house with a boom box over their head blasting the Indigo Girls," he quips. "Actually, guys sometimes will tweet me, 'I'm in L.A. Staying at such-and-such hotel. What do you think?' Of course, it all depends on the quality of the hotel."
He continues, "Back when I had just moved to L.A., before I was on any show, I was meeting a friend at a bar connected to this restaurant we went to. When I got there, I was the only one in the bar. While I was messing with my phone, I didn't notice the whole bar fill up with men. Guys kept coming up, asking, 'What's going on, man?' I figured they'd seen the commercials I was in. Then I realized that these men were coming on to me because I was alone in a gay bar."
Because "Community" has struggled in the ratings (and was shelved for several months before returning in early 2013), McHale tells The Advocate he's especially grateful to the quirky comedy's many gay viewers. "Community needs all the help it can get, so thank God for our gay fans. Our young gay fans especially are the loudest and most Internet-savvy," the 41-year-old host of "The Soup" explains. "That also speaks to the quality of our show, which I think is highly intelligent."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite