Jon Bon Jovi on Daughter's Heroin Overdose: 'Worst Phone Call Ever'
- Photo: Brian Rasic/Rex USA1 of 16
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks2 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: Turgeon/Winslow/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: AO1/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Stephen Lovekin/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks12 of 16
- Photo: WENN13 of 16
- Photo: WENN14 of 16
- Photo: http://www.wenn.com/15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Ratings: ABC's 'Resurrection' Debuts BigMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 8:36:00 AM
- 'True Detective': What We Know About Season 2MSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 8:21:00 AM
- ABC Drama 'Resurrection' Sparks Social Media Buzz Even If People Can't SMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 8:19:00 AM
- 20th Century Fox TV Distribution Promotes Kristen Finney to SVP, Worldwide Pay TV and SVODMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 8:14:00 AM
- William Guarnere, 'Band of Brothers' Character and WWII Vet, Dead at 90MSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 7:41:00 AM
- Ratings: ABC's 'Resurrection' Debuts Big
Jon Bon Jovi has witnessed the so-called rock-and-roll lifestyle for decades, but nothing could have prepared him for the phone call he received last November that his 19-year-old daughter had overdosed on heroin.
Opening up on Katie Couric's talk show, "Katie," on Friday, the rocker recalled the day he discovered that his daughter, Stephanie Bongiovi, was hospitalized after overdosing at Hamilton College in Clinton, New York.
"Worst phone call ever," he admitted.
It served as a wake-up call for the "It's My Life" singer, 51; he told Couric he was "shocked as the next parent with this situation" when he learned about Stephanie's problems with drugs.
"In short, that problem is much more a problem than I knew, and I can't get over how many people have said, 'My son, my daughter,'" Jon told Couric. "There's a lot of pressure on kids these days."
Fortunately, the Grammy nominee says Stephanie is doing much better now with the support of their entire family. (She's the eldest of Jon's four kids with wife of 23 year Dorothea Hurley; her siblings are Jesse, 18, Jacob, 10, and Romeo, 8.)
"She's doing great," he said. "I'm just blessed she's healthy and whole and we'll get through it."
Although initially Stephanie and her friend, Ian S. Grant, were arrested on drug possession charges after officers found heroin, marijuana and drug paraphernalia in her dorm room, those misdemeanor charges were dropped due to a recently amended state law.
The 2011 "Good Samaritan" law exempted people from possession charges if they had sought help for somebody experiencing a drug or alcohol overdose, and Grant had called for medical assistance on Stephanie's behalf.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite