Jon Bon Jovi on Daughter's Heroin Overdose: 'Worst Phone Call Ever'
- Photo: Brian Rasic/Rex USA1 of 16
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks2 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: Turgeon/Winslow/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: AO1/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Stephen Lovekin/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks12 of 16
- Photo: WENN13 of 16
- Photo: WENN14 of 16
- Photo: http://www.wenn.com/15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Entertainment One Developing Bible-Mafia Drama Mashup 'King David'MSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 5:12:35 PM
- 'Law & Order: SVU' Star Dann Florek Exits ShowMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 4:33:02 PM
- 'Blue Jasmine' Will Be Back in 300 Theaters After Cate Blanchett's AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:54:06 PM
- NBC's 'The Sound of Music Live' to Re-Air on SaturdayMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:32:51 PM
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Mama Joyce Rampage Earns Season-High RatingsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:32:22 PM
- Entertainment One Developing Bible-Mafia Drama Mashup 'King David'
Jon Bon Jovi has witnessed the so-called rock-and-roll lifestyle for decades, but nothing could have prepared him for the phone call he received last November that his 19-year-old daughter had overdosed on heroin.
Opening up on Katie Couric's talk show, "Katie," on Friday, the rocker recalled the day he discovered that his daughter, Stephanie Bongiovi, was hospitalized after overdosing at Hamilton College in Clinton, New York.
"Worst phone call ever," he admitted.
It served as a wake-up call for the "It's My Life" singer, 51; he told Couric he was "shocked as the next parent with this situation" when he learned about Stephanie's problems with drugs.
"In short, that problem is much more a problem than I knew, and I can't get over how many people have said, 'My son, my daughter,'" Jon told Couric. "There's a lot of pressure on kids these days."
Fortunately, the Grammy nominee says Stephanie is doing much better now with the support of their entire family. (She's the eldest of Jon's four kids with wife of 23 year Dorothea Hurley; her siblings are Jesse, 18, Jacob, 10, and Romeo, 8.)
"She's doing great," he said. "I'm just blessed she's healthy and whole and we'll get through it."
Although initially Stephanie and her friend, Ian S. Grant, were arrested on drug possession charges after officers found heroin, marijuana and drug paraphernalia in her dorm room, those misdemeanor charges were dropped due to a recently amended state law.
The 2011 "Good Samaritan" law exempted people from possession charges if they had sought help for somebody experiencing a drug or alcohol overdose, and Grant had called for medical assistance on Stephanie's behalf.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
Bye, Bye 'RHOC'
Former "Housewife" Lydia McLaughlin dishes about leaving the "RHOC," her stance on plastic surgery and more!Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHoliday Spirit
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite