Joy Behar: Why I Finally Got Married After 29 Years
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN1 of 6
- Photo: JM11/WENN2 of 6
- Photo: Twitpic.com/Promotional3 of 6
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com4 of 6
- Photo: Gina James / Graylock.com/Retna Ltd.5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'La Cage aux Folles' Director Edouard Molinaro Dead at 85MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 4:49:15 PM
- Vin Diesel Shares His Emotional Moment With Paul Walker's FamilyMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 3:18:16 PM
- Bob Dylan's Infamous Electric Guitar Fetches Nearly $1 Million at AuctionMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:57:27 PM
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviewsMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:13:57 PM
- European Film Awards: 'The Great Beauty' Wins European Film 2013MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 1:38:57 PM
- 'La Cage aux Folles' Director Edouard Molinaro Dead at 85
Joy Behar waited 29 years to become a lawfully wedded bride - what took her so long?
When "The View" premiered Tuesday, the 68-year-old explained why she and longtime love Steve Janowitz decided to tie the knot in New York City on August 11.
At first, Behar regaled the audience with her top 10 reasons for getting hitched, which included feeling "embarrassed asking about senior discounts for her 'boyfriend," being "sick of Barbara Walters bugging [me] to get married," and because she "is hoping to get on the cover of Brides Magazine AARP edition."
PHOTOS: Stars and their soulmates
All kidding aside, Behar said that she and Janowitz decided to make things official once gay marriage became legal in New York.
"It did have an influence on me. It brought to my consciousness why gays needed to get married," she said. "And I thought it was a good reason for me to get married. And so did Steve, so we did it."
PHOTOS: Gorgeous celebrity weddings
Oh, and there was one other reason, too: "If he was going to get down on one knee, I wanted it be during the time when he could still get up from one knee!"
"The View" co-host was previously married to Joe Behar from 1965-1981. They have one daughter, Eve, who was born in 1970.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGrammy Nominees
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite