Ashley Judd Thanks Husband for 'Beautiful Storm' Essay Inspiration
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: Michael Conroy/Invision/AP2 of 16
- Photo: Rob Carr/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: Picasa/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: Paul Smith/Featureflash/Retna Ltd.6 of 16
- Photo: ED REINKE/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: VINCE BUCCI/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: MIKE DISCIULLO/Bauer-Griffin9 of 16
- Photo: VINCE BUCCI/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com11 of 16
- Photo: Retna Ltd.12 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Josh Reynolds/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Paul Morigi/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
Ashley Judd has blamed her "amazing" husband, race car driver Dario Franchitti, for prompting her to attack critics online for writing mean things about her appearance.
The actress was appalled when bloggers and journalists -- many of them female -- took aim at her when she appeared on TV with a puffy face, the result of steroid medication she was on to fight off a bad cold.
Her critics claimed the new look was the result of cosmetic surgery and they quoted experts who backed their opinions up, stating the actress had clearly had "fillers" put in her face.
Judd's publicist quickly dismissed the reports, but they refused to go away, and so the star's angry husband suggested she do something to get back at the careless gossips.
Judd put pen to paper and wrote an essay about the nastiness inherent in today's media, calling out the bloggers behind the cosmetic surgery claims for their sexist and mean remarks. It was published on news website The Daily Beast, and has become a defining piece of literature for modern feminists.
And Judd owes the "beautiful storm" to her husband.
She tells "Access Hollywood Live," "It was very much nudged by my husband, who was so outraged on my behalf. ... It's all his fault. The feedback on the conversation has been nothing short of extraordinary. I had absolutely no idea when I sat in my nightgown ... and channelled that piece, which took me maybe 18 to 20 minutes to transcribe. Once I made the connection and grasped the double bind and the contradictions and the 'She looks good, it must be fake,' 'She looks bad, it must be fake' all talking about the same woman and the same appearance ... the piece came to me and I just wrote it because it was there. I didn't event have an outcome in mind. I sent it to some friends as I usually do and one of them said, 'This is so powerful, it has to be an op-ed (piece).'
She added, "I've never been at the center of something like this ... I was just a surrogate for this particular series of unbelievably sexist and nasty criticisms ... If it were just about me it would have sort of died within a 24-hour news cycle."
RELATED: Star Secrets
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jake Talks 'Code'
Watch as Jake Gyllenhaal talks about his upcoming flick "Source Code."Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite