Ashley Judd Thanks Husband for 'Beautiful Storm' Essay Inspiration
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: Michael Conroy/Invision/AP2 of 16
- Photo: Rob Carr/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: Picasa/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: Paul Smith/Featureflash/Retna Ltd.6 of 16
- Photo: ED REINKE/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: VINCE BUCCI/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: MIKE DISCIULLO/Bauer-Griffin9 of 16
- Photo: VINCE BUCCI/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com11 of 16
- Photo: Retna Ltd.12 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Josh Reynolds/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Paul Morigi/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:04:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler and Husband Welcome a Baby GirlMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Courted for 'The Stand,' Nearing Deal for 'Gold&aMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- The Mindy Project Taps Niecy Nash as Mindy's RivalMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- Steve Martin in Negotiations to Star in Disney's 'Magic Camp'MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:01:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&
Ashley Judd has blamed her "amazing" husband, race car driver Dario Franchitti, for prompting her to attack critics online for writing mean things about her appearance.
The actress was appalled when bloggers and journalists -- many of them female -- took aim at her when she appeared on TV with a puffy face, the result of steroid medication she was on to fight off a bad cold.
Her critics claimed the new look was the result of cosmetic surgery and they quoted experts who backed their opinions up, stating the actress had clearly had "fillers" put in her face.
Judd's publicist quickly dismissed the reports, but they refused to go away, and so the star's angry husband suggested she do something to get back at the careless gossips.
Judd put pen to paper and wrote an essay about the nastiness inherent in today's media, calling out the bloggers behind the cosmetic surgery claims for their sexist and mean remarks. It was published on news website The Daily Beast, and has become a defining piece of literature for modern feminists.
And Judd owes the "beautiful storm" to her husband.
She tells "Access Hollywood Live," "It was very much nudged by my husband, who was so outraged on my behalf. ... It's all his fault. The feedback on the conversation has been nothing short of extraordinary. I had absolutely no idea when I sat in my nightgown ... and channelled that piece, which took me maybe 18 to 20 minutes to transcribe. Once I made the connection and grasped the double bind and the contradictions and the 'She looks good, it must be fake,' 'She looks bad, it must be fake' all talking about the same woman and the same appearance ... the piece came to me and I just wrote it because it was there. I didn't event have an outcome in mind. I sent it to some friends as I usually do and one of them said, 'This is so powerful, it has to be an op-ed (piece).'
She added, "I've never been at the center of something like this ... I was just a surrogate for this particular series of unbelievably sexist and nasty criticisms ... If it were just about me it would have sort of died within a 24-hour news cycle."
RELATED: Star Secrets
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Crowd Ignite