Judge: Abercrombie shirt not 'Situation' violation
- Photo: Fred Montana/Splash News1 of 19
- Photo: © MJT / AdMedia/Retna Ltd.2 of 19
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN3 of 19
- Photo: Paul J. Froggatt/Fame Flynet4 of 19
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN5 of 19
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage6 of 19
- Photo: SI1/WENN7 of 19
- Photo: DCA/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: DCA/WENN9 of 19
- Photo: ZWAB/SGD/WENN10 of 19
- Photo: Nick Spaloss/Pacific Coast News11 of 19
- Photo: CS5/WENN12 of 19
- Photo: ZWAB/SGD/WENN13 of 19
- Photo: Hugh Dillon/WENN14 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com15 of 19
- Photo: GARRY SUN/Bauer-Griffin16 of 19
- Photo: Kabik/Retna Digital17 of 19
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.18 of 19
More Celeb News
- VIDEO: Paula Deen Returns to Today, Reveals Comeback PlansMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:24:00 AM
- 'NCIS: New Orleans' Review: Scott Bakula Steers CBS's Competent ExpansionMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:18:00 AM
- Comic Book Overload: Why TV Has Gone to the SuperheroesMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:09:00 AM
- Paula Deen Returns to 'Today' Show After N-Word Fiasco to Apologize and Make Some MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:06:00 AM
- 'Black-ish' Creator Goes for Specific Stereotypes While Telling a Universal StoryMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:00:00 AM
- VIDEO: Paula Deen Returns to Today, Reveals Comeback Plans
MIAMI (AP) -- A federal judge in Florida says Abercrombie & Fitch Co. didn't violate trademark rules by producing a shirt playing on the nickname of Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino of TV's "Jersey Shore."
RELATED: Best and worst beach bods
Sorrentino's company sued the clothing company in 2011 over its shirt containing the phrase "The Fitchuation." Sorrentino claimed that amounted to trademark infringement and other violations of his nickname, which is based on his abdominal muscles.
But U.S. Magistrate Judge John O'Sullivan recently ruled for Abercrombie and tossed the case. O'Sullivan concluded that the company marketed the shirt as a parody and that Sorrentino's company didn't start selling its own shirt until later. And the judge found the products are not the same and thus can't confuse consumers.
"Jersey Shore" ran on MTV for six seasons, ending last December.
RELATED: Best bikini Twitpics
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTInspiring Hubby!
From Crowd Ignite