Judge: Abercrombie shirt not 'Situation' violation
- Photo: Fred Montana/Splash News1 of 19
- Photo: © MJT / AdMedia/Retna Ltd.2 of 19
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN3 of 19
- Photo: Paul J. Froggatt/Fame Flynet4 of 19
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN5 of 19
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage6 of 19
- Photo: SI1/WENN7 of 19
- Photo: DCA/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: DCA/WENN9 of 19
- Photo: ZWAB/SGD/WENN10 of 19
- Photo: Nick Spaloss/Pacific Coast News11 of 19
- Photo: CS5/WENN12 of 19
- Photo: ZWAB/SGD/WENN13 of 19
- Photo: Hugh Dillon/WENN14 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com15 of 19
- Photo: GARRY SUN/Bauer-Griffin16 of 19
- Photo: Kabik/Retna Digital17 of 19
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.18 of 19
More Celeb News
- Weekend Review: I'll Take ManhattanMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 5:00:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 5:38 a.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 2:38:29 AM
- 'Hercules' Review: Dwayne Johnson in an Epic That Never Feels EpicMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 12:02:00 AM
- Jennifer Lopez, Afrojack, Usher, and KISS Say Yes to CBS's Revived 'Fashion Rocks&MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 11:46:00 PM
- Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox Reaches Deal With BSkyB for European Pay TV CompaniesMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 11:23:00 PM
- Weekend Review: I'll Take Manhattan
MIAMI (AP) -- A federal judge in Florida says Abercrombie & Fitch Co. didn't violate trademark rules by producing a shirt playing on the nickname of Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino of TV's "Jersey Shore."
RELATED: Best and worst beach bods
Sorrentino's company sued the clothing company in 2011 over its shirt containing the phrase "The Fitchuation." Sorrentino claimed that amounted to trademark infringement and other violations of his nickname, which is based on his abdominal muscles.
But U.S. Magistrate Judge John O'Sullivan recently ruled for Abercrombie and tossed the case. O'Sullivan concluded that the company marketed the shirt as a parody and that Sorrentino's company didn't start selling its own shirt until later. And the judge found the products are not the same and thus can't confuse consumers.
"Jersey Shore" ran on MTV for six seasons, ending last December.
RELATED: Best bikini Twitpics
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian and Kanye West to Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher, check out the cutest celeb PDA.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStar Gaze
From Crowd Ignite