Just Wondering: Why is James Franco guest starring on "General Hospital"?Related: Just Wondering, James Franco
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Charles Krupa/AP2 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com3 of 10
- Photo: Gary Lewis/Retna Ltd.4 of 10
- Photo: Steffman/Curd/Splash News5 of 10
- Photo: Charles Krupa/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP7 of 10
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.8 of 10
- Photo: PPNY / GSNY/Splash News9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & BeautifulMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 4:01:48 PM
- Brad Pitt Names Jeremy Kleiner Co-President of Plan B EntertainmentMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 3:15:58 PM
- E!'s 'The Wanted Life' Preview: Scooter Braun Stages an Intervention (VidMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:55:28 PM
- David Janollari Signs 3-Year Development Deal With NBCMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:42:27 PM
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:59:12 PM
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & Beautiful
By Melissa Hunter
James Franco has signed on for a multi-episode story arc on "General Hospital" this fall. That's right. The Golden Globe-winning, tentpole studio movie-starring actor is now a soap star.
Did I miss something? Is time moving backwards? Last I checked, soap guest stars happen before you make the leap into Gus Van Sant films. Next, we'll see James starring in an Olive Garden commercial and then it's onto the glamorous life of community theater in Wichita!
So the question still remains for Dr. James Livingston Franco III, Esquire (what I assume to be his character name): Why is he going on a soap? We have a few rationales...
The sexy colleagues:
"General Hospital" is to soap operas as Krispy Kremes are to donuts. Only the top-of-the-line sultriest of D-list actresses wind up on the show. He pretty much has his pick of stripper-lookalikes without the stigma of, you know, dating a stripper.
He's a diehard fan:
Hey, stranger things have happened. Surely he spent some of his afternoons at Columbia in the dorms smoking, erm, legal substances and peering into the lives of Bobbie Spencer and Robert Scorpio.
He needs to shake things up:
Sure, playing roles such as Allen Ginsberg and Harvey Milk's lover is challenging, but man, is it boring! Remember, the guy kicked off his big sceen stardom in "Spider-Man" pitted against villains plotting to destroy the world and disharmed by the discovery that his best friend had a secret life as a hybrid spider-man. That's not a far cry from the sinister, backstabbing, sometimes supernatural events that occur in Port Charles.
He's desperately needs an addition to his trophy case:
He nabbed a Golden Globe and a Critics Choice award for his breakthrough role as James Dean, but those awards are getting awful dusty. As prime time TV has gotten a little extra awesome lately with lots of A-list talent, he's gotta find a way to nab an award quickly and effectively. Ahh, the untapped resource of the Daytime Emmy Awards for a movie star.
He may not be the most talented movie star out there, but he'll be damned sure to out-act all the other soap opera guest star nominees. And if they add a Best Soap Opera Guest Star Who Has Starred in a Judd Apatow Movie, he's a shoe-in. Fingers crossed!
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite