Kanye West: Kim Kardashian and I Were 'Practicing All the Time' to Have a Baby
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/Rex USA1 of 29
- Photo: Premiere/Fame Flynet2 of 29
- Photo: Getty Images North America3 of 29
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 29
- Photo: David Fishe/Rex USA5 of 29
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet6 of 29
- Photo: Juan Rico/Fame Flynet7 of 29
- Photo: Splash News8 of 29
- Photo: Getty Images North America9 of 29
- Photo: kimkardashian/Instagram10 of 29
- Photo: Sharpshooter Images/Splash News11 of 29
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage12 of 29
- Photo: @krisjenner/Instagram13 of 29
- Photo: @krisjenner/Twitter14 of 29
- Photo: Fame Flynet15 of 29
- Photo: Kim Kardashian/Instagram16 of 29
- Photo: Instagram17 of 29
- Photo: Splash News18 of 29
- Photo: kimkardashian; Michael Buckner/WireImage/Instagram19 of 29
- Photo: @kendalljenner/Instagram20 of 29
- Photo: @kimkardashian/Instagram21 of 29
- Photo: Pacific Coast News22 of 29
- Photo: Albert L. Ortega/WireImage23 of 29
- Photo: LG/Splash News24 of 29
- Photo: Instagram25 of 29
- Photo: @ryanseacrest/Instagram26 of 29
- Photo: MTV/DailyMail/Promotional27 of 29
- Photo: Splash News28 of 29
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
Not-not trying! During his Tuesday, Nov. 19 appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," Kanye West told host Ellen DeGeneres that welcoming his first child, North West, with then-girlfriend Kim Kardashian in June wasn't exactly planned, but it also wasn't completely unexpected. The 36-year-old rapper opened up about becoming a new dad, proposing to Kardashian and why he thinks they're the perfect match. (As previously revealed, West also debuted his "Bound 2" video during the show; his famous fiancee appears int he video -- topless and straddling him atop a motorcycle.)
"Did you want to have children ... or is this something that happened?" DeGeneres asked. "I mean I know how it happened, but have you been planning? Did you want to have a child?"
"We were just practicing all the time," West explained of his relationship with Kardashian, 33. "Practice made perfect."
The "Bound 2" rapper said fatherhood had made him "super-focused" and "determined" to "establish the exact foundation I want for my family." Being a dad does not, however, make West think twice about some of the explicit language he uses in his songs.
"I'm not as concerned with the idea of profanity or nudity, it's more the messaging behind it," West explained to DeGeneres. "So [North's] going to be in the real world so she's going to hear things and see things. I think she's gotta be prepared for that."
But when it came time to propose to the mother of child, the Grammy-winning artist left the real world behind. West popped the question in an over-the-top, surprise proposal at San Francisco's AT&T Park on the reality star's birthday in October, complete with an orchestra and fireworks. The groom-to-be told DeGeneres that he had to take the proposal to "another level" because Kardashian expects the best from him.
"She thought I was going to bring [singer] Lana Del Rey out ... she's already expecting these type things," he explained. "She's, 'Oh yeah, it's just something that he would do ... rent out a baseball field and bring Lana. Yea,h birthday or whatever.' So I knew I had to turn up more because I think people expect even more from me in every situation whether it's an album, a video, concert, or an engagement."
West said his efforts to give Kardashian the perfect proposal were totally worth it. "I think that Kim is awesome and she just deserved [an] awesome moment like that," he shared.
"I've known you for a little while," DeGeneres said. "What is it about Kim because you've said that she's your dream girl. What is it that y'all just mesh like that? Who is she to you?"
"She's an important person that when I was at my lowest moments I could get on the phone with her. She would make me feel like I was here for a reason and I had something to say, and just support me through that. It's incredible to have a woman like that, that you know is not using you for money," the "Gold Digger" rapper explained. "I just have to word it like that because once you become like a multi-millionaire there's a certain type of women out there that they go for that, and they'll put on the whole act and everything. But to have someone that's, you know, has their own s--- ... And her personality is so calming. And I don't know if that's the way people would describe my personality so ..."
Fumbling for the right words, a still-smitten West added, "I don't know if I can express it enough. It's almost like people make fun of me for how in love I actually am ... I just think people are just so cool with their approach to things. And also I'm trying to avoid the jump-up-on-the-couch moment," he joked, referring to Tom Cruise's infamous 2005 appearance on Oprah Winfrey's show after he met Katie Holmes. "But, yeah, it's just ... it's good."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTDebuts Baby Bump!
From Crowd Ignite