Katharine McPhee on waiting to start a family: I'm selfish right now
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 14
- Photo: The Star Catcher/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 14
- Photo: Felipe Ramales/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 14
- Photo: JUSTIN CAMPBELL/StarTraks4 of 14
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/.5 of 14
- Photo: JUSTIN CAMPBELL/StarTraks6 of 14
- Photo: Premiere/DMac/Fame Flynet7 of 14
- Photo: LEON/GSI8 of 14
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage9 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: RWO/WENN11 of 14
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 14
- Photo: WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Christopher Walken, Giancarlo Esposito Join Jon Favreau's 'Jungle Book'MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:58:00 AM
- 'Glee' Star Lea Michele to Guest on 'Sons of Anarchy'MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:30:00 AM
- Sarah Palin Channel Mocked on Twitter With Terrible Ideas for TV ShowsMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:19:00 AM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. Says Working With Kiefer Sutherland on '24' Was a NightmareMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:11:00 AM
- Hilary Duff Returns to Music With 'Chasing the Sun' (Audio)MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 9:08:00 AM
- Christopher Walken, Giancarlo Esposito Join Jon Favreau's 'Jungle Book'
Katharine McPhee isn't where she thought she'd be in 2013 -- because where she ended up is so much better!
The "Smash" star appears on the February cover of Lucky wearing a vibrant Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti ensemble and Christian Louboutin heels. In the accompanying interview, McPhee, 28, explains why she hasn't started a family with her husband of nearly five years, Nick Cokas, 46.
"I once thought that by now I'd have lots of children, but actually I'm really enjoying being able to go from point A to point B and the only worry I have is have my dogs been walked," the "American Idol" runner-up says. "I'm selfish right now, but that's how and where I should be. The thing is, work is the thing I love the most."
Children may not be on the horizon for a long time, McPhee adds. "In five years, I'd love to have done a play and a few movies, and of course I know 'Smash' keeps going."
McPhee is, after all, still adjusting to life in the Big Apple. "I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I hated living in New York for the first six months," the former L.A.-based star admits. Over time, the "Over It" singer learned to love city living. "I couldn't really put my finger on it. There's so much diversity on the streets here," she says of Manhattan's varied culture. "You get to leave work behind when you leave; not everyone is an actor."
Even so, performing will always be McPhee's first love. "When you're on a show like ['Smash'], one that requires so much singing, you have to be really protective of your instrument," she tells Lucky. "You don't get to just, like, go out and party all night."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite